the Couple’s individual adaptation therapy it is another tool in the treatment of problems related to the field of the life of a couple. The assumptions on which the TIAP approach is based are as follows
1. Couple conflicts as such do not exist. There are issues for each person as an individual.
2. A couple is the sum of two radically different individuals, With a singular and unique history, with a family, links, atmosphere, principles, values, education, experiences and small or large traumas, which give birth to two necessarily different personalities, whatever the extent of affection and attraction towards everyone other than you experience.
3. Therefore, the problems are not of the couple as such, but the product of the internal mobilization of past conflicts (Of a lifetime) of each of its components colliding with those of the other, and the resulting blossoming that occurs when one tries to reconcile life with a person who also brings a baggage of values, but also aspects of deficiency, immature, when not clearly pathological.
Features of TIAP
With the exception of what happens during the initial interview, in individual couple adaptation therapy instead of working with both components of the couple (as is usually the case in most therapy modalities). torque), the intervention is developed individually. Each member of the couple will perform seemingly individual psychotherapy, on different days and times than their partner.
The practical characteristic that defines this type of therapy is that the therapist will work with a dual objective:
1. Better self-knowledge, maturity, development and management of personal resources, Acceptance of limits and deletion of projections and introjections of relevant figures.
2. At the same time, when the therapist knows the strengths and weaknesses of the two components, it can promote the practice of behaviors that will facilitate self-knowledge in both, Knowledge of the other, knowledge of others, knowledge in general, overcoming the usual amounts of aggression and resentment, the result of a frustrated and frustrating experience of living together (at least in some respects), the management of tolerance to frustration, and the desirability of unreal expectations, which so many sexual conflicts arouse, and which never cease to be somatizations; that is, the expression through the body (in this case the sexual organs) of unresolved emotional or affective conflicts.
Supervision of the couple’s individual adaptation therapy
Couple members will not be able to comment on the content of individual sessions in their private or social life, As in the components of any group psychotherapy. However, the effects of these sessions must be recognized by both oneself and the partner so that the therapy can be seen as producing results.
Benefits of TIAP
The TIAP is a field of individual progress which doubles, in parallel, with the evolution of the other, advancing in time the possibility that these individual advances are reflected in their coexistence, in their verbal, emotional and sexual communication.
This parallel and complementary enrichment allows that, from the first sessions, the two members of the couple begin to be able to perceive important benefits for the relationship, only through the part of empathy and psycho-affective knowledge of the other, often obtained. in just two or three sessions.
The fact of working exclusively with the therapist, without the presence at the consultation of the other member, allows the free expression of opinions, appreciations and feelings, Which, with the partner in front, would sometimes not be possible due to shame, grief or aggression.
Many are those who, when working with the traditional methodology, do not pass the first session, or, at the most, and with heroic efforts, endure a few sessions, all insufficient, abandoning the therapeutic work with the aggravation of having poured into the opinions and feelings of joint sessions that will condition the rest of their potential coexistence.
Requirements for implementing TIAP
In order to be able to perform individual pair adjustment therapy with guarantees, a series of requirements must be met:
- That neither member of the couple has mental health problems of such gravity that they make the process impossible.
- Full awareness on both sides that not only the other has problems, Impairments, defects, traumas or unresolved conflicts.
- It is desirable that the therapy be carried out with full conviction of its need by both parties., As well as with absolute freedom; without pressure, always well intentioned, of any kind.