The woman who smells Parkinson’s disease

We know Parkinson’s disease as the physical inability to be able to move and speak normally. One of the main problems of Parkinson’s diseaseIt is to be able to identify its manifestation prematurely. Therefore, it is very positive that a surprising case in Scotland has given researchers hope.

A woman, Joy Milne, can only detect this disease by smell. She discovered this ability with her next of kin, her husband, who she noticed a change in body odor a few years earlier.

    What is Parkinson’s disease?

    Parkinson’s disease is a disorder that it directly affects the physical movement in the human body. Its cause is the death or degeneration of certain neurons and known regions of dark matter. The regions called basal ganglia are particularly affected, the function is to ensure good control of movements.

    Thus, this disease produces negative effects on the physical activity of any person, such as stiffness, tremors, postural instability, or slowness in speaking. 75% of patients with this disease are over 65 years old, while the remaining 25% are minors.

    The woman who smells Parkinson’s disease

    One of the most notable dramas of this disorder is it is almost impossible to detect it in time to be able, at least, to avoid its development in the most aggressive phase. Researchers specializing in these diseases say that in 90% of cases, it is impossible to detect any type of symptom before it is too late.

    However, the possibility of preventing the aggressive development of Parkinson’s disease has recently started to be seen. An ordinary woman, with a normal life but with an excellent sense of smell, Joy Milne of the city of Perth, Scotland, saw how this fact marked a breakthrough in disease research.

    Her name was revealed when the University of Manchester (England), incredulous in the face of such an event, decided to invite her to check out how true what she was saying was true. Mrs. Milne he claimed to have detected neither more nor less than not more and not less than 6 years previously of the definitive Parkinson’s manifesto in her husband. And this simply by sniffing a piece before washing it.

    The ultimate test to avoid

    The team that wanted to conduct the research, also from the University of Perth, proposed to bring together 16 people, half with Parkinson’s disease and the other half 100% healthy. From these individuals, clothing, pants, shirts and other accessories were taken.

    Joy handled all the pieces, sniffed them well, and without thinking too much about it, identified with certain labels the people who would not have Parkinson’s disease and those who did. The result has been resounding. He was right anyway, he was full. Years later, he was informed that the exhibits, classified as suspicious, confirmed his omen. The owners eventually developed the disease.

      encouraging results

      “I was skeptical, really. But it is thanks to Joy that we have come so far in this area, ”says one of the University of Manchester professors involved in the study. With such a humble and natural technique, 10 more molecules have been detected to diagnose the presence of Parkinson’s disease before it fully manifests.

      In the UK, 1 in 600 people have Parkinson’s disease, and a total of around 130,000 cases. The trauma that prevents patients from detecting it worsens their condition. Many denounce the lack of progress over the past 25 years and pressure the UK government to devote more resources to research, so there is an urgent need to find a solution.

      However, scientists say that you have to be careful with this technique of smell, because it is not, by far and despite its incredible results, the ultimate test. So far, the case of Joy Milne is exceptional, and nowhere else in the world has a similar technique been spotted and no one with the same gift found.

      Leave a Comment