They are different CV type which will serve to demonstrate the strengths we have: our experience, our academic level, the languages we speak, etc. When we are looking for work, the CV will be ours cover letterIn other words, our announcement because the company in which we want to work is interested in our profile.
It is therefore not a waste of time to concentrate our efforts on making the CV impeccable.
The different types of courses
In each of the types of programs, the same information it can be organized in a very different way. Depending on the structure, we will give more importance to certain aspects and not to others, and we will be able to take advantage of the different types of courses to show what interests us the most.
In our article “10 Tips to Improve Your Curriculum Vitae” we have already provided information on how to develop a successful CV. Here are the different types of CVs that, depending on how the information is organized, you can work on when preparing your CV.
4 CV courses how do you know which one to use?
Let’s start with the first CV (and also the most commonly used): the Chronological CV.
1. Chronological program
This type of course is the most traditional and widely used, as it highlights the professional career in an organized way. It is used to emphasize that progress has been made in a particular area and shows the order that has been followed throughout the professional and educational trajectory. Therefore, the information is organized from the oldest to the most recent achievements. Unlike other types of resumes, highlights stability and upward career development, with an emphasis on promotion, increasing tasks or climbing the professional ladder.
Strengths of the chronological CV
the chronological curriculum should be used in the following situations:
- If you have progressed in an area of work in a Logical order and promotion or improvement of working conditions is sought.
- If you have had one stable career, Without long stops that push the recruiter to question the motivation of the position.
- If there have been few jobs, but a extensive experience in this field.
- If you don’t want to change the line of work.
- If you are not more successful than having worked for a prestigious company.
Disadvantages of the chronological resume
On the other hand, this program also has its drawbacks:
- It highlights job changes as well as the lack of promotions or changes in responsibility.
- Displays periods of inactivity.
- It may show a lack of retraining or a lack of formative updating.
2. Functional (or thematic) curriculum
This type of CV highlights skills, And is useful if one has had different experiences in areas that show important skills. Therefore, unlike the chronological CV, it does not present the time of permanence in the company, but the a variety of functions that were performed.
In this class of CV are indicated three to six functional areas in which he worked. For example, if a person chooses a receptionist position in a hotel, the different functional titles of their CV might be: tour guide, customer service (having worked in a customer service office in a shopping center) and language teacher. This provides information to the recruiter who may be a good candidate for the job: he speaks languages, has worked for the public and has worked in the tourism industry.
The advantages of a functional CV
the functional curriculum should be used in the following situations:
- If you want to put focus on skills necessary to hold a specific job and have no experience in this sector.
- If a person has been self employed and wants to work for someone again.
- If you want blank periods of camouflage or inactivity.
- If you want to delete dates i demonstrate adaptability in jobs before stability.
- If wanted the first job or if you have a short work experience.
- If we think that the age that can be an obstacle.
Disadvantages of the functional CV
The disadvantages of this program format are:
- This is not the usual presentation format, so recruiters they may perceive that information is hidden.
- It doesn’t matter how long you stay in each location or the name of the company.
3. Mixed (or combined) program
the mixed program or combined is a mix of the two previous types of programs. It usually begins with a functional description of the skills or abilities, followed by a chronological order of the individual’s trajectory. Therefore, the format combines the strengths of the previous two types of CVs.
The advantages of the mixed CV
The mixed program should be used when desired showcase experience and skills which presents the candidate according to the chosen position. In addition, this resume template is not viewed negatively by some recruiters, as it shows periods of inactivity.
Disadvantages of mixed CV
Like other types of courses, the mixed CV also has its drawbacks:
- it is necessary a different CV for each position for which you choose.
- Not suitable for filing when requesting standard forms.
- By adding chronological order, moments of inactivity will also appear.
In addition to these types of programs based on the organization of information, the program can be presented, for example, with an artistic touch (if applied for work related to art) or more formal (if you are applying for a job in an office). Currently, we even use the Video CV instead of the paper format.
4. Video CV
the Video CV shows the candidate in a recording that it is not recommended to last longer than a minute (This shouldn’t take more than two minutes). This format is ideal for displaying communication skills or an active personality and dynamic, and opens communication channels such as the visual, which are not present in the written format. In addition, the video CV can incorporate creative elements, Such as projects, photographs, etc.
It also allows you to demonstrate professional skills, such as fluency in the language or a certain talent, or a good presence or a good image. Video CVs are an original way to apply, although not all companies allow this format. However, it is widely accepted in the audiovisual or marketing world.