The transition to the faculty of psychology Not only is this a stage in which knowledge accumulates, but it goes hand in hand with a series of experiences that behavioral science students are used to having.
University life is accompanied by collapsed myths, existential doubts and reflections on the future of work and somehow humorous experiences.
Going through the Faculty of Psychology means …
Let’s take a look at the main experiences related to this career.
1. You discover that the origin of the word “psychology” does not describe what it consists of.
Although etymologically, the term psychology means study of the soul, in reality psychologists are engaged in research and intervention on very specific and limited aspects of our daily life, and they don’t use the concept of “soul” to work.
2. Everyone starts asking you for free therapy.
These close attempts to get a free psychological consultation can seem endearing has since the beginning. However, the time and effort of psychological care deserves a payment … and a college degree that accredits your training.
3. People’s eyes light up when they hear what you study in college
And it is at this point that point number 2 occurs.
4. You realize that there is a lot of life beyond psychotherapy.
Almost everyone starts the race by wanting to devote themselves to therapy, but little by little other branches of psychology are discovered.
5.Completely demystify the idea of clinical hypnosis
you discover that hypnotists cannot control the actions of the hypnotized person … and it disappoints you. You have had many illusions because of the myths about this practice.
6.Completely demystify the idea of bipolarity
Being diagnosed with bipolar disorder it’s not a fun thing and it’s probably not what you thought before the race started. And no, of course, that has nothing to do with what is said in that song from Porta.
7.Completely demystify the concept of psychopathy
No, psychopaths are not committed to dismembering people in their spare time.
8. You wonder if you could be a psychopath
This is the next logical step after reaching the above conclusion. After all, being a psychopath or not being is a matter of degrees and quantities psychopathy.
9. You discover that no one is using a sofa anymore
The sofa is a piece of furniture that has become obsolete in psychology consultations, although it is very iconic.
11. Stop attributing magical powers to the Rorschach test.
No, interpreting these sheets with inkblots will not reveal the most private part of your mind.
12. You begin to question the concept of “mind”
After all, it is a very ambiguous and confusing term. Wouldn’t it be better to talk more about “mental processes”?
13. You begin to seriously question the concept of “human nature”
Many of the things that we assume to happen to everyone are by no means universal. Learned behavior shapes a large part of how we look at things, And not everyone learns in the same context.
14. You begin to question the concept of “consciousness”
Is consciousness the basis of our brain’s operations, or is it the result of our brain activating? It is very confusing.
15. You realize that you are questioning more than you fully understand
It can be frustrating, but a good part is studying psychology. it’s about unlearning certain myths.
16. You plan moral dilemmas about animal testing
Much of the research in psychology is part of conduct studies with animals, And this will require you to position yourself in this regard.
17. Start looking for potential future patients among your classmates.
It is tempting to attribute symptoms and disorders to others, but it is one thing this can only be done with preparation and in a clinical setting.
18. You discover that the smallest things can lead to psychological problems
Education, work, noise near houses … all of this, even in small doses, can produce psychological crises.
19. An idol falls on you: Sigmund Freud
At the start of the race, you discover that Freud’s ideas are totally outdated and that current psychology follows other paths.
20. You realize that the clients of psychologists do not know what they are hiring
Myths about psychology are so prevalent that even the people or organizations that pay for these services are not quite sure what they are doing.
21. You wonder if the career is difficult in itself or if they inflate its difficulty by making you read a lot.
In some faculties, the race may seem difficult, but at least it’s a grateful difficulty: if you study hard you get good grades, Not like in engineering.
22. You begin to analyze series, films and video games psychologically
Difficult not to do it. After all, screenwriters strive to make the personalities of the characters interesting or very marked.
23. You have a love-hate relationship with psychotropic drugs
Psychotropic drugs, however, can be alienating they improve the lives of many people.
24. You begin to believe much less in conspiracies concerning the use of psychotropic drugs.
After all, just because the existence of these products benefits pharmaceuticals does not mean that they are not effective in many cases.
25. Note that sociology students have a respect for you that you may think is undeserved.
sociologists they see in psychology a time when the social sciences join the neurosciences, And this generally deserves their respect. However, you will respect them because they spend the day working with statistical programs.
26. You will experience an identity crisis by not knowing which psychological current to join
Because no, eclecticism is not necessarily the best option. necessarily.
27. Enjoy evasively answering questions about what you are studying
Is that what is most important to the human mind? Define for me the idea of ”human spirit”.
28. You pass yourself off as a psychoanalyst just as a joke
Are you the one who prefers the onion omelet? Vaja vaja … How is your relationship with your father?
29. You tend to choose electives in which there are fewer bocamoll students
Classes with few students may encourage participation, but this will backfire in those with one or two students. they start to talk at length about their opinions.
30. You realize that “emotional psychology” says nothing
All these images circulating on the Internet about “the teachings of emotional psychology” are based on lies and, in fact, there is no well-defined branch of psychology that is supposedly. Emotions are components that touch on many branches and approaches from psychology to time.
31. You plan to create a specific savings fund to cover accounting costs
Studying this career means investing a fortune in purchasing psychology books which, unless they are 600 page textbooks, will greedily devour you.
32. Did you know that during food breaks you read more than during your last semester of compulsory schooling?
Learning psychology involves turn books into a second brain.
33. You begin to look for beneficial evolutionary characteristics in your potential mates.
You will pay particular attention to the waist-to-hip ratio and the black thriad.