Because of globalizationWith the advent of the internet, social media, and social media, the world has changed a lot over the past decades. Exploit the possibilities of promotion and marketing that the new reality offers us, can be useful to any professional.
Whether you want to boost your psychology activity or your personal image as a psychologist, you have the opportunity to take advantage of the communication and interaction possibilities offered by social media and social media. So don’t waste them, because they can bring you prestige, notoriety and reputation.
Since there is a lot of competition in the current job market, psychologists must cultivate their own personal brand (And professional). The way you present yourself to others can help you find jobs or clients. It is therefore important that you know exactly who you are, what you do and why you are important. This way you can get the most out of your personal branding.
Branding means branding
The term branding began to be used in the business world, however we all have a personal brand, Although we have not cultivated it.
“Branding” refers to develop and shape a brand that allows a user to identify with certain symbols, ideas or experiences that go beyond the mere product or service with which it is intended to do business. It is about the brand and the behavior of the brand. For example, Red Bull’s personality is: daring, restless, optimistic, stimulating, … and his behaviors are: dangerous, exploratory, happy, stimulating.
The brand image exposes the characteristic values of the company which give it a unique and credible character, and which allow it to stand out from other competitors, such as they have a unique impact on the market.
The work landscape has undergone significant changes in recent years
The world and the economy are changing and the relationship between businesses and professionals has undergone a transformation that has led to a very different employment landscape than it was 20 years ago.
The forms of professional development of the time are already obsolete and it should not be forgotten that in many sectors, job stability has disappeared. Few of them end their careers and enter the job market directly. It’s more about conquering a mountain, so IIt is necessary to talk about projects and strategies to achieve this, Instead of talking about already marked routes. Control is taken by yourself, and you have to be able to design, develop and manage your own professional strategic plan.
Personal Branding for Psychologists: The Importance of Becoming Visible
This is especially important for psychologists, as the competition between professionals in our guild is strong for such a limited job market.
The brand concept, therefore also it is applicable to help psychologists to occupy a privileged place in the minds of others. Personal branding tries to identify and communicate your worth and skills, usefulness and reliability so that you are seen as the psychologist to hire or worth working with. The goal is therefore that they consider that the best option is you and that they ultimately choose you. Having a well-placed and valued personal brand increases your chances of success in situations where there is a lot of competition and where you need to be chosen from a number of options.
The concept of personal branding became popular after an article by Tom peters called “A Brand Called You” which was published in Fast Company Magazine over 10 years ago. Peters says: “Regardless of age, position or company, we all need to understand the importance of personal branding. We are directors of our own company: I Corp.” And he concludes: “To be in business today, our best job is to be the marketing manager for the YOU brand.”
Personal branding is therefore a powerful and clear idea that comes to someone else’s mind when they think of you, it’s the imprint you left on their mind. It is the way you manage and communicate your true values, beliefs, feelings and talents, and that’s how others perceive you.
Start seeing yourself as a brand
How would you like others to see you if they google you? What specialty of psychology would you like to be associated with? Which customers do you want to target? Before you start thinking about designing a strategic plan for your personal brand, it is important to know who you are, what you offer and why you are important and different from others.
Your image and your personality are your basic tools to stand out and differentiate yourself from other competitors, but what will build customer loyalty is the relationship between the image you are going to show and your values. trust. Therefore, a defined image that conforms to your principles will be appreciated positively by others. The image you show should be reinforced in all its aspects and should be consistent with the values you promote.
The use of social media: Facebook, WordPress, Google+, …
There is a lot of confusion when it comes to social media. Many people think that social media is synonymous with social media, when it is not. Understanding the difference between the two terms is crucial for a good marketing strategy.
Social media or social media is the platform, application or online media that is used by many users to create online interaction in order to share ideas, news and special interests. In other words, through these, you can share articles, images, videos, audios, and you can have chat conversations or video conferences. The best known are: Facebook, Google+, YouTube, WordPress, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, etc.
Instead, a social network it is the act that is established when several users interact via social media. This interaction is motivated by common interests or tastes and causes a communication network between Internet users. Social media is a powerful tool for psychologists as it allows you to share texts, videos, audios, etc. and then build professionally interesting communities.
That said, It is important that you consider the possibility of privatizing your profiles to have a more professional image and so that in this way you get the most out of your exposure.. Social media allows you to create the best possible image as a psychologist, but it can also have the opposite effect if you don’t take care of it.
Finally, you must keep in mind that building a website is becoming essential today and that it is a good way for search tools to know that you exist. Initially, it doesn’t have to be a wonder, but it will give you visibility into the 2.0 world, which interests you.
What should you keep in mind when designing your personal “online” branding?
Below I leave you with a list of things to keep in mind when making yourself visible on the internet.
- Identity. You have to have your own identity and be very clear about what you are offering. Whether it’s a blog, online therapy, or a Youtube channel, it’s important to keep a clear identity in mind so as not to confuse your customers or potential subscribers. In addition, your image and your way of acting must be consistent. You have to have a unique identity and differentiate from others to have a greater impact.
- Goal. Identity and purpose go hand in hand. Therefore, your goal or objective must be associated with your personal branding if you are to be successful. Whatever your goal, it should be consistent with what you are offering. For example, if you present yourself as an ADHD expert, it doesn’t make much sense to offer you services as a human resources consultant. In these cases, specificity works best.
- visibility. Getting visible requires good planning and strategy to promote your personal brand. There are many tactics you can use to achieve this. Examine them.
- differentiation. With so much competition as today, you have to differentiate yourself from the rest. Know your full potential and sell the best of yourself.
- trust. As already mentioned, brand personality and brand behavior should be consistent. Especially in the field of psychology, confidence and credibility are extremely necessary to attract others. If you lose consistency your brand is weak and once that happens it is difficult to regain trust. The main value of personal branding is to build trust, which is what an individual ultimately opts for. This is where the most emotional part of the brain comes in. Therefore, the important thing is not to create a personal brand, but to cultivate it. This is the best way to build trust.