The study and application of psychology is very useful in different fields, and the work of psychologists is beneficial in different fields. We must not forget that in this discipline there are many specializations and, although many people associate the figure of this professional with the clinical field or with psychopathologies, one can also find psychologists working in companies, in the world of marketing, in sports clubs. And even in schools.
And is the study and application of psychology beneficial both in improving the well-being and mental health of people and in fostering interpersonal relationships, improving sports or organizational performance, helping groups to work better and much more. Month.
The psychologist is a professional who, from a scientific point of view, studies how people and groups think, feel and behave, and has the knowledge, techniques and tools to diagnose and intervene in different problems which can occur at the mental, behavioral, relational level …
Psychology is not just about treating psychopathologies
Wrongly, there is the popular belief (albeit to a lesser extent) that the psychologist is engaged solely and exclusively. caring for patients with psychological disorders.
The reality is that professionals in psychology perform different functions, and although one of them is to diagnose and treat the psychological problems of some people, this professional is present in different environments, which do not have necessarily to do with a hospital or a psychology clinic.
For example, psychologists can work in a company conduct staff selection processes or by participating in the training of workers, they can act in schools so that children with special educational difficulties can improve their school results and have the same opportunities and the same rights as any child of their age.
They can also work directly with an athlete (e.g. tennis player) to get the most out of their workouts or competitions they participate in, and learn to better manage their emotions to perform at a high level at a championship. . The benefits of psychology are manifoldAnd psychologists, with their efforts and dedication, are helping to make this happen.
What are the branches of psychology?
As you can see, psychologists they participate in different fields of application, Because psychology can have as many facets as human activities. Some of the most important branches of psychology are:
1. Organizational psychology and human resources
psychologists they can participate in companies perform different functions, including staff selection, training or stress reduction at work.
Marketing and consumer psychology can also belong to the field of organizational psychology, and is responsible for conducting research aimed at creating attractive services and products for the customer. It is also responsible for establishing more useful communication strategies and strives to provide knowledge about neuromarketing, among many other functions.
2. Social and community psychology
One of the branches of psychology that attracts the most interest today is social and community psychology, which focuses on the collective and the relationships between people in a context. It takes into account group processes and how social and relational dynamics affect individuals.
3. Clinical and health psychology
It consists of research and intervention focused on psychological problems and the well-being of people.
While clinical psychology deals directly with psychological problems, whether very serious or not, health psychology professionals often focus their work on improving the well-being and quality of life of certain people who do not necessarily have a mental disorder. For example, cancer patients, in the case of specialization in psycho oncology.
4. Educational and developmental psychology
These professionals may or may not work in schools, but their work tends to focus on the learning and educational processes. For example, working with people with ADHD or improving the relationship between family and school.
Developmental psychology is often linked with educational psychology. However, although some of the functions of the two fields may overlap, developmental psychology it focuses on psychological and behavioral changes that occur at different stages of life, from childhood to old age.
This field aims at the application of psychology to the resolution of sexuality issues (Erectile dysfunction, paraphilias, lack of sexual desire, etc.), as well as help improve the sexual performance of individuals.
Benefits of psychology
Therefore, psychology has many fields of application, and they are all very useful for people in different aspects. cal stop linking behavioral science to psychopathologyAs psychology positively affects many areas of our life and different contexts.
In summary, the advantages of psychology are:
- improve communication skills and relational of people.
- Helps improve emotional intelligence and conflict resolution and helps to better manage other related aspects (eg stress).
- Improve relationships and family relationships and, of course, their well-being.
- Maximize People’s Potential and their own personal development through self-knowledge, planning and improving self-motivation.
- Improve the quality of life of people with diseases (For example, diabetes or cancer).
- Diagnose and intervene to overcome various mental disorders.
- Improve knowledge of the structure and function of our brain, and help to understand and improve cognitive functions such as memory.
- improve teaching and learning process, And work alongside the faculty to motivate all students.
- Create from a better climate to group together, for example, in schools or organizations.
- Improve the processes for evaluating and incorporating changes. These changes can be of all kinds, for example, when it comes to drug addicts.
- Improve personnel selection processes, teamwork, a company’s production and employee well-being.
- Psychological interventions can reduce the need for pharmacological treatment.
- Positive manipulation of psychological variables linked to sport. For example, self-confidence, level of activation, aggressiveness, perseverance or team cohesion.