life is one of the ubiquitous aspects that accompany human existence, But also perhaps the most mysterious.
Throughout history, many famous people have wanted to limit part of the essence of life with a few sentences, but few have succeeded in this attempt.
40 life sentences to understand yourself and others
You can read below
a selection with some of the best phrases in life. Reflections on life that lend themselves to reflection and that can not only be used as a trigger for interesting debates, but as a tool for personal transformation.
1. A good traveler has no fixed plans or intention to arrive
Lao Tzu uses the classic metaphor in which life becomes a journey to better express the paradox of what according to him should be our life trajectory. The mystical background behind its philosophy and the centuries that separate us from the era associated with Lao Tzu do not prevent it from being a reflection very applicable to the present day.
2. Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often the result of a lack of wisdom
Terry pratchett speaks of wisdom and experience as elements which, by their presence or absence, are part of the engine of our existence. In this way, a reflection which seems to bear on knowledge becomes another of those expressions of life which seem universal and applicable to any society.
3. Not to be dead is not to be alive
EE Cummings it is a question of terminology which hides behind it a little more transcendent than it seems at first glance.
4. The starting point of all success is desire.
As one of the pioneers of mutual aid,
Napoleon Hill he formulated many thoughts and phrases from life that dealt with the topic of personal development, project management and the psychological aspects that lead us to achieve our goals. This sentence is an example.
5. Uninterrupted happiness is boring; he must have alternatives
Moliere, On the happiness and the tension that exists between that and the emotional states that, without being part of it, are desirable.
6. True happiness costs little; if it’s expensive, it’s not good class
Chateaubriand, Like many other thinkers, he believes that happiness is not an object towards which we should orient all our plans and projects, but it is spontaneous and is expressed in simple facts and actions.
7. Love the life you have so you can live the life you love
Another paradox with a philosophical background, this time from
Hussein Nishah. lift up the dialectical and non-sequential process of loving your own life, Which does not respond to an action plan that can be followed step by step.
8. Life should be enjoyed, not endured
The legacy of religious
Gordon B. Hinckley it is lavish in the sentences on life, and it is one of the most significant for the simplicity with which it is describes the essence of hedonistic philosophy.
9. Pessimism leads to weakness. Optimism, in power
William james on the influence of mental states on our possibilities of action. A more or less optimistic approach can more or less broaden our range of options.
10. It is necessary to harden without ever losing tenderness
The Argentine revolutionary
Ernesto Che Guevara it corresponds to the quality of hardness, useful for tackling demanding projects and for claiming hard-to-reach ideals, with the tenderness and humanity necessary to live day by day in community.
11. Life is not a problem to be solved, it is a reality to be lived
Soren Kierkegaard he alludes to some of the principles on which philosophical existentialism would later be based: the value of existence above preconceptions and categories, And the absence of a predetermined vital project.
12. Peace cannot be found by avoiding life
Virginia woolf, On the need to know how to adapt to the context so as not to be more functional, but to improve our well-being.
13. Where there is love, there is life
Mahatma Gandhi believes that love is one of the qualities inherent in human life. This makes sense because we are predisposed to live in the company of other people.
14. Life is simple, but we want to complicate it
Confucius, In one of life’s most famous phrases. His conception of vital projects that may demand the attention of human beings is rather minimalist, emphasizing the value of simplicity.
15. Unexpected intrusions of beauty. It’s life
Saul Bellow, in one of the most curious and therefore the most interesting sentences in life.
16. Losing self-confidence is losing self-confidence
Simone de Beauvoir, One of the referents of feminism and wife of the philosopher Jean Oaul Sartre, on thethe relationship between body and mind and ours concepts of self.
17. To define something is to limit
Irish writer’s phrase
Oscar wilde, Applicable to all aspects related to everyday life and also to the most abstract concepts.
18. Growing up means losing certain illusions, being able to embrace others.
The writer and the thinker
Virginia woolf, In one of the sentences of life on vital and subjective projects.
19. The action expresses the priorities
Another sentence from the pacifist leader
Gandhi, This time on the things we value most and on which we direct our actions. A phrase that can help you be happier.
20. Life is a blank canvas, and you have to throw in all the paint you can.
Danny kane, About life and the possibilities it offers us: all this can be drawn with a brush on a blank surface.
21. Don’t live in the past, don’t dream of the future, focus your mind on the present moment
One of the phrases about the life of Buddha, In which he insists on the importance of living the present in full consciousness.
22. Life is not about finding yourself, but about creating yourself
A sentence from the Irish writer
George bernard shaw on the process of personal development.
23. We don’t remember the days, we remember the moments
An inspiring thought and phrase from the Italian writer
24. The purpose of our life is to be happy
One of the most direct and strongest quotes about life in the
25. The good life is a life inspired by love and guided by knowledge.
Bertrand russell establishes the relationship between knowledge and love as the engine of the good life.
26. Where love reigns, laws abound
One of the most memorable sentences of the Greek philosopher Plato, on the good of forming bonds and commitments based on love, an element that can replace the law when it comes to uniting groups and societies.
27. The obstacle is the way
A Zen proverb in which these difficulties which present themselves to us are, in themselves, the means by which we move forward to progress in our personal development.
28. Good results require big ambitions
Another of the phrases about life born in ancient Greece. This, in particular, belongs to the philosopher Heraclitus.
29. The heart has reasons that reason ignores
A phrase from the philosopher Blaise Pascal. There is an invisible logic behind the acts promoted by love.
30. We become what we think
A reflection by Earl Nightingale. Our actions form our identity.
31. Look back and smile at the dangers of the past
A quote from Walter Scott: One of the benefits of going through difficult situations is that, in retrospect, they make us taller.
32. Life is like jazz … it’s so much better if it’s improvised
A phrase about life conceived by musician George Gershwin.
33. Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of reaction
Well-known reflection on the active role you must play to consider yourself truly free. The sentence is from Charles S. Windoll.
34. If you love your life, your life will match you with love
One of the happiest quotes in life. It is by Arthur Rubinstein.
35. You cannot have a positive life if you keep a negative mind
This original reflection is by Joyce Meyer, and refers to the importance of mindset in interpreting our experiences.
36. The greatest adventure you can embark on is living the life of your dreams
This line from Oprah Winfrey tells us about the courage it takes to make our actions match our desires.
37. Without music, life would be a mistake
One of the best-known quotes about the life of influential philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.
38. Choose a job that you are passionate about and you will never go back to work for a day in your life.
Another sentence from Confucius; in this case, it speaks of the good of turning work into pleasure in which we can be fully involved.
39. Life is either a great adventure or nothing
A phrase about life designed by Hellen Keller. Like other quotes, this one refers to the need to make what we do a meaningful goal, One who is taller than us.
40. The simplicity of life is to be yourself
A phrase from Bobby Brown. Sometimes, acting as self brings us into a dynamic that takes us away from our real goals.
Do you know more phrases for reflecting on life?
The selection of life phrases ends here. If you know of any other thoughts and think they should be included in the list,
you can leave them in the comments section so that we can develop the item.
Also remember that if you want to continue seeing such philosophical phrases and reflections, you can follow us through our account of
Twitter and Pinterest.