Among the sentences of Mark Twain that this prolific writer left us after his passage in life we find true gems of harsh criticism of an unequal society, full of inequalities.
However, there is also a sense of transcendence in them that goes far beyond cynicism or cunning. This is why so much can be learned from him.
Mark Twain’s Most Notable Quotes
Mark Twain is the pseudonym he started using in his articles by Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835 – 1910), American writer, writer and adventurer who never tires of seeking his own path and his experiences in his travels without a final destination. His father died when he was only twelve, which meant his dropping out of school, but that did not deprive him of a proper education which later enabled him to be one of the best writers of all. time.
This famous author tried to make the most of his career through experiences across the United States, working on things he would never have imagined (mines, carpentry), visited spectacular villages and encountered all kinds. of people, which he helped shape. his own works. In addition to being a novelist and essayist, Twain was a true adventurer.
In this article we will see the most relevant phrases of the American author and adventurer.
1. Man was created at the end of the week when God was tired
A very particular way of speaking of the imperfection of man.
2. There are people who can do everything right at least one; stop explaining your happiness to the unfortunate
We must encourage people in difficulty, not to sink further.
3. The action speaks more than 1000 words but not that often
We are what we do, not what we say. One of Mark Twain’s sentences in which his practical approach to morality is reflected.
4. There is a charm in oblivion that makes it inexplicably desirable.
Mark Twain often spoke of forgetting as a cure for happiness.
5. When your friends start to pander to young people who look like you, it is surely a sign that you are getting older.
Sometimes humans lie to make others feel better.
6. The facts are stubborn, but the statistics are more flexible
Excellent sentence to explain the difference between reality and trends.
7. What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? That the taxidermist only takes the skin
Mark Twain has always been very critical of the state’s tax system.
8. Always loyalty to the country. Loyalty to government when it deserves it
Curious reflection of Twain on politics.
9. The age would be infinitely happier if we could be born at 80 and gradually reach 18.
Growing up is never pleasant. Rejuvenation is what we are always looking for throughout life.
10. The secret source of humor is not joy but sadness
According to Twain, sadness is a dependent variable of happiness. They are indivisible.
11. When fishing for love, use the bait of the heart, not the brain
This sentence describes how Mark Twain saw love.
12. A man is never more real than when he recognizes himself as a liar.
The first is to recognize our flaws. Only then can we change them.
13. We live in such a way that when we die, even the undertaker will repent.
Twain seems to have seen little enthusiasm for people enjoying life.
14. The world owes you nothing. I was here first
We often say the expression “the world owes me one”. Everyone has their own destiny and decisions.
15. To be successful in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain saw the easy way to be successful.
16. The secret to moving forward is to start
You don’t have to stand still and wait for things to happen.
17. Age is a matter of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, that’s okay
We have already said a lot: age is just a number.
18. My mom had a lot of problems with me, but I think she liked it
A good way to explain the relationship between a mother and a child.
19. Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind see
In life, you have to be polite and kind at all times.
20. Start with your actions, then you can distort as much as you want
You must first do, then describe.
21. Better to keep your mouth shut and make people think if you are stupid than to open it up and resolve doubts.
If we can’t say nothing better than when we’re silent, it is advisable to remain silent.
22. When you’re on the side of the majority, it’s time to stop and think
It’s very tempting to fall into the general trend and not think for ourselves, Twain thought.
23. Never leave for tomorrow what you can leave for tomorrow
Procrastination is always a negative element.
24. Against the onslaught of laughter, nothing can sustain
For Mark Twain, humor was essential to have a full life.
25. The most precious thing we have is the truth. Let us save it
The truth is a little appreciated treasure in society.
26. Truth is rarer than fiction
Coming back to this concept, it is very difficult to manage. It’s easier to lie.
27. You can’t rely on your eyes when your imagination is blurry
first we have imagine what we want to achieve or accomplish.
28. Apparently, there is nothing that cannot happen today
We never underestimate the everyday.
29. Courage is resistance to fear; domination of fear
Twain was a born adventurer and courageously saw the overcoming of fear.
30. Good friends, good books and a sleeping conscience: this is real life
A very concise and forceful way of describing life.
31. All Generalizations Are Wrong, Including This One
To Twain, it was very odious to make such claims.
32. Lack of money is the root of all evil
As is happening today, money conditions our societies.
33. Name the greatest inventor. accident
Many of mankind’s great advances have come about by chance. Champagne, for example.
34. The information about my death has been greatly exaggerated
Mark Twain has been pronounced dead on several occasions.
35. Don’t let school interfere with your education
For many thinkers and intellectuals, college is a form of indoctrination.
36. Anger is an acid that hurts the container in which it stores more than anything it spills in.
This sentence explains very well what anger means to people.
37. The fear of death comes from the fear of life
If we are not afraid of life, we are not afraid of death.
38. If you are telling the truth, you don’t have to remember anything
The truth, always so important, even if sometimes one prefers not to try to approach it.
39. A man carrying a cat by the tail learns something he cannot learn otherwise
One of Mark Twain’s quotes based on humor.
40. Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it a thousand times
A really fun way to describe how difficult it is to quit smoking.
41. The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to encourage someone else.
Always keep in mind the happiness of other. It is synonymous with personal happiness.
42. It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog
Curious way to paraphrase Twain when it comes to conflict.
43. There are people who accomplish things and people who say they have accomplished things. The first group is less common
We have often settled into the comfort zone and given up on our dreams.
44. Humor is mankind’s greatest blessing
Humor has always been an exponent in Mark Twain’s life.
45. The human race has a really effective weapon and that is laughter.
We again refer to humor as a way to achieve happiness.
46. If your job is to eat two frogs, it is better to eat the larger one first.
Frogs are a bad thing in life. So we have to overcome the most difficult first.
47. I don’t want to compromise with Heaven and Hell, I have friends in both places
Great copyright way for avoid judging people.
48. For God, it is only possible: to find meaning in all copyright on the planet
People turn to theology when they don’t know how to explain a situation in life.
49. When people don’t respect us, we feel offended
Respect must always be a sine quano condition for relating to others.
50. A person who cannot read has no advantage over a person who cannot read
Reading is an essential tool of culture and knowledge.
51. Honesty is the best policy when there is money in the middle
It is very difficult not to fall into greed, according to Mark Twain.
52. Climate is what we expect, weather is what we have
We have to be realistic to avoid frustration.
53. I never let my school interfere with my education
You have to learn to be a free thinker. Twain has been very clear about this.
54. A man who lives fully is ready to die at any time
He who loves life will not fear death.
55. Necessity is the alma mater of all risks
Human being is capable of anything in the face of urgency or lack.
56. It is better to deserve honors and not to have them, to have them and not to deserve them.
Trophies, medals and other public honors were of little value to the author.