Jacques Cousteau was one of the most famous marine explorers and researchers of the 20th century. He acquired his scientific knowledge from the French Naval Academy; serving as a soldier during World War II, he ventured to discover the treasures of the planet’s seabed.
In addition, Cousteau is the inventor, along with engineer Émile Gagnan, of the modern diving suit that still survives today as the only bus system for athletes and scientists. On the other hand, it was the first underwater cinema, making the first underwater films to bring its passion to all domestic households.
Jacques Cousteau’s sentences
Below you can find a selection of 60 sentences by Jacques Cousteau to understand the thinking of this French scientist.
1. For the dolphin and the whale, happiness is to exist. Man must discover this and marvel at it
Jacques Cousteau thus described the simplicity of the animal species, and stressed that man should appreciate mother nature more.
2. We urgently need to use science to civilize civilization
The captain was very critical of human behavior with natural spaces. It should be noted that he was a great environmentalist.
3. I always told reporters that we had no purpose, no idea what we were going to find on a mission.
This is how Jacques explains his sense of adventure. He was a born discoverer.
4. The reason I have made films about the underwater world is simply my belief that people protect what they love.
So he explained how he wanted to make the world aware of the importance of the environment for living things.
5. I make love to the sea, others attack it
In such a romantic way he described Cousteau his passion for the oceans.
6. If I don’t find out, someone else will.
Jacques was a man with a lot of dynamism and ambition. He always wanted to be the first in his specialty.
7. Close our eyes to nature only blinds us in a fool’s paradise
Another metaphor that denounced the little attention that the natural environment received from people.
8. During the s. XX has done more harm to the Earth than in all of previous human history
Having lived through two world wars, Jacques warned the international community against human perversity.
9. The scientist ventures into the cell, the atom or the cosmos without knowing what to expect.
Another way to describe the basic characteristic of every scientist.
10. People only like what we know, we are so naive
This sentence by Jacques Cousteau defines human ignorance of the sea very well.
11. If I had known what I would find, I would not have gone
The mix between emotion and fear is what the French scientist often found for what he discovered. He was often shocked.
12. The man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. You just have to go down to the bottom of the sea to feel free
This is how he wanted to describe the sensation when diving in deep water.
13. The real enemy of nature is the animal hunter
Jacques he was an anti-hunting activist. I hated any activity related to killing animals.
14. We must understand that our mission is to protect Mother Nature
His drive to defend the importance that nature has in our lives has not ceased.
15. If we keep throwing garbage in the sea, we will become garbage
With this sentence the explorer denounced the bad practice of human beings towards the sea.
16. We should love the Earth, it is only when we love a little that we protect it.
Jacques was in love with the Nautraleza, and it was only out of love that he understood its future protection.
17. Air and water, vital elements, are now global dumping grounds
Another example of a complaint to contaminate the two vital resources for survival.
18. Although we want to divide countries for whatever reason, it is clear that we are increasingly interdependent.
Jacques Cousteau was opposed to the idea of borders, the division of cultures and the conflict of interest.
19. When a man has the opportunity to lead a change, he owes nothing more for himself.
He also disliked the selfishness that reigned in Western societies.
20. If we were just logical beings, the world would be desolate. But we are human beings, we have faith and hope, and this allows us to work together
Cooperation, understanding and personal relationships. This is how Jacques understood the human being, beyond the rational.
21. To cultivate as we do is to hunt. At sea we commit barbarism
Already from his beginnings, he was alerted to terrible methods of aquaculture and agriculture that were used.
22. Planting should replace hunting. This is human logic
Create instead of destroy to survive.
23. A dolphin in an aquarium, regardless of its size, should not look normal to us.
Cousteau was also opposed to the use of bar animals and human amusement.
24. I am not a scientist, I am an entrepreneur of scientists
Interestingly, Cousteau didn’t consider himself a scientist. But he knew how to create his own brand and succeed commercially.
25. Abortion is confused with overpopulation. One thing has nothing to do with the other
It was often said that Cousteau was in favor of abortion. Son of his time, he wanted to stand out from this practice.
26. If we follow the present path of greed, we will not live to explain it. We will be replaced by insects
Once again he warned of the long term danger to the fate of mankind.
27. When man discovers his intelligence, he acts to involve him in stupidity
Jacques Cousteau he was very critical of human behavior. He said the intellect was used to commit atrocities.
28. Man is the only animal that considers itself delicate
He thus described the selfishness of man without regard to his surroundings.
29. What is a scientist? He’s the one looking in a hole to find out what’s there
Curiosity is the engine of science.
30. Concern for the environment manifests itself in different ways in all countries
After several conflicts of unforeseeable disasters, he began to realize ecological care.
31. The sea is the universal sewer
Already in the twentieth century, the blue planet he suffered from the rubbish that accumulated in him.
32. The sea is the great unifier of man. We’re all on the same boat
Never better said, this sentence can be taken almost literally.
33. We forget that the life cycle and the water cycle are one
This sentence perfectly described the reason for our existence like something related to the importance of water.
34. Our future guides us to crash against the wall. Survival is limited to 100 years.
The captain was so energetic in raising awareness in the wrong way that took the company off in terms of nature conservation.
35. Life is a transit; the world a performance hall; the man enters, looks and leaves.
Jacques spoke very often about death and how we can interpret life.
36. In order to stabilize the world population, 350,000 people should be eliminated per day
With this controversial sentence, Jacques Cousteau explained one of the great problems that the Earth had to endure.
37. The only and true hope of man is the sea
Caring for the sea is caring for the future and the survival of the species human.
38. Underwater, the human being becomes an archangel
With this lyricism, he describes the explorer’s feeling of being underwater.
39. Impossible missions are only those that have been successfully completed.
Cousteau never considered an expedition to be lost. he was always looking for the incredible.
40. The best way to observe a fish is to be one.
Direct contact with marine species has been the best way to understand life at sea.
41. Every morning, I wake up and I say to myself: I am alive, what a miracle!
Jacques was a man who lived from day to day and thanked for the advancement of his projects.
42. The current situation we find ourselves in makes me nauseous
His environmental complaints have never stopped. He insisted on this question every time he was interviewed.
43. If the oceans of our Earth died, it would be the terrible end of humanity and animals.
With this sentence, Jacques reaffirmed the human being’s dependence on water.
44. Hooks love you a net for all eternity
Once again he dramatically describes his relationship with the sea.
45. The only ambition of my films is to show the truth of nature
He always pursued an emotional goal, not a material one. His films broadcast pure passion for the wild.
46. I am not an environmentalist for animals, I am an environmentalist for men
It was often said that he loved animals more than humans. So he denied it.
47. There is a book always open to all eyes: nature
In this way he described how rewarding it was live the environment intensely.
48. Only nature does great things without expecting anything in return
This is how Cousteau described the good work of nature.
49. The savage is not the one who lives in nature, it is he who destroys it
With this sentence, he wanted to redefine the concept of barbarism.
50. May your search for nature lead you to yourself
Going into the unexplored can be used to reveal who we are.
51. Nature never says one thing and wisdom another
Nature is the source of all knowledge and wisdom.
52. The Earth must be ready to welcome 10 billion people, otherwise it’s over
Overpopulation was a problem already known in Cousteau’s time.
53. We live in a kind of murderous madness of our time
The last few years have brought great changes for better and for worse.
54. Water and silver, the two liquids to be used with caution
There are some things that are very easily out of our control.
55. Some people worry about what they will eat tomorrow. I’m afraid to eat today, we’ll see tomorrow
One of Jacques Cousteau’s sentences with a touch of humor.
56. I do not come down to observe the fish. I dive in and talk to them
To experience the sea is to let it leave a mark on us in the same way that we leave a mark on it.
57. In the sea there is no past, present or future, only peace
The immensity of this body of water makes it seem timeless.
58. I’m only trying to make people understand the sea, not that they like it
It is not necessary to devote a life to the sea; you just have to respect it.
59. We try not to draw on the sea what has been drawn on land
The sea is relatively unexplored territory who still has a chance to stay pure.
60. It is said that fish have little memory. They should watch the man
If we compare ourselves to other forms of life that we consider simpler, we can be taken by surprise.