Charles Spencer Chaplin, Better known as Charles Chaplin, is one of the most famous figures of the twentieth century. He will always be remembered as one of the first famous movie characters.
As the creator of Charlot, Chaplin stood out for being a comic book that marked an era. For history, he leaves us great works like the great dictator or Candilejas, films that cannot be missing in the collection of cinephiles.
85 inspiring quotes from Charles Chaplin
Chaplin has always been a great defender of freedoms and fought against Nazism from its origins. While he lived he left great phrases and thoughts for memory. Phrases about life, philosophical phrases, phrases which, even today, will serve as inspiration.
In the following lines you will find a collection of the best quotes from Charles Chaplin. Enjoy it!
1. On closer inspection, life is a tragedy, but from a distance it looks like a comedy
A phrase with rhymes. He talks about the complexity of life sometimes.
2. Life is no longer a joke for me; I don’t see the grace in him
Another humorous sentence, but which speaks of sadness.
3. The worst part about you is that you refuse to fight, you give up, you only think about illness and death. But there is something as inevitable as death and that is “life!”
A positive sentence from Charles Chaplin. Seeing things on the dark side is limiting.
4. I believe that faith is a precursor to all of our ideas. Without faith, hypothesis, theory, science or mathematics could never have evolved.
A famous quote on faith and the evolution of human thought.
5. Life is a play that does not allow rehearsals; that’s why he sings, laughs, dances, cries and lives every moment of your life intensely … before the curtain falls and the play ends without applause
A comparison between life and the theater. The first has no written or rehearsed screenplay.
6. I believe that faith is an extension of the spirit. This is the key that denies the impossible. To deny the faith is to refute oneself and the spirit which generates all our creative forces. My faith is in the unknown, in all that does not understand the reason
He speaks of faith and reason.
7. We are all fans. Life is so short that she doesn’t give more
Life is shortSo you must take advantage of it.
8. After all, it’s a joke
Better to make a joke of life than to stick to the negative.
9. As a man ages, he wants to live deeply. A feeling of sad dignity invades his soul, and it is fatal to a comic
When we felt deeply, we also clung to sadness.
10. By simple common sense, I do not believe in God, in any
A sentence that expresses Chaplin’s opinion on religion
11. Happiness … does it exist? Or? When I was little I complained to my dad because he didn’t have any toys and he replied by pointing his face with his index finger: This is the best toy ever. Everything is here. Here is the secret of our happiness.
Chaplin reveals, in his opinion, the secret of his happiness.
12. I am for the people. I can not help it
Humans are complicated. But we are human.
13. Dictators are freed but they enslave the people
Charles Chaplin criticizing dictators during the Nazi era.
14. My sin was and still is to be a maverick
Chaplin claims to be a sinner because he didn’t settle for little.
15. The downside of old age is that you have no way to defend yourself
Age is wreaking havoc as Charles Chaplin explains.
16. I am fair, I am still only one thing: a clown. It puts me on a higher plane than any politician
Chaplin states that clowns are above politicians.
17. I am not a politician and I have no political beliefs. I am an individual and a supporter of freedom. It’s all the politics that I have
The best political belief is that which is based on the freedom of individuals.
18. Wars, conflicts, everything is business. Numbers sanctify, if you kill a few you are a criminal, if you kill thousands you are a hero
A phrase that made a lot of sense at the time Chaplin lived, because he lived during the time of Nazism.
19. I am at peace with God, my conflict is with man
Human beings can get really bad, explains Charles Chaplin.
20. Look at Hannah, look at the sky! The soul of man has been given wings and flies to the rainbow and the light of hope
A phrase that refers to freedom and hope.
21. In the light of our egos, we are all dethroned monarchs
A sentence from Charles Chaplin which invites reflection on the ego.
22. We all want to help each other. We humans are like that. We want to live with the happiness of the other, not for the misery of the others
A quote from Chaplin about selflessness and how we humans help each other.
23. Life has no meaning; life is desire
We all want a lot of things in life. Desire is life itself.
24. I have already forgiven almost unforgivable mistakes, tried to replace irreplaceable people and forget unforgettable people.
When you can’t forget those who hurt you.
25. Smile even if your heart hurts. Smile even if you broke it. Even if there are clouds in the sky, you will get it, if you smile despite the fear and pain. Smile and maybe tomorrow you’ll see the sun shine for you
Even if it’s bad, you have to smile. Don’t let sadness wash over you.
26. To really laugh, you have to be able to bear your pain and play with it!
Controlling pain and emotions is one of the principles of being happy.
27. Laugh and the world will laugh with you; cry and the world, turning their backs on you, will let you cry
When you have a positive attitude, the world revolves around you.
28. My pain may be the reason for someone’s laughter, but laughter shouldn’t be the reason for someone’s pain
A sentence by Charles Chaplin with a certain irony that invites reflection.
29. Laughter is a tonic, a relief, a respite that calms the pain
Laughter and pain are incompatible. That is why you often have to laugh.
30. Never forget to smile, for the day when you do not smile will be a wasted day
If we are sad all day, we will feel sad. You have to smile.
31. When I began to love myself, it seemed to me that the anguish and emotional pain were just warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know, it is about “authenticity”
Sometimes it is difficult to love yourself, but it is the path to well-being.
32. Believe in yourself, here is the secret. Even when I was in the orphanage and wandered the streets looking for something to eat to live on, even then I considered myself the greatest actor in the world. Without absolute self-confidence, we are doomed to failure
Self-confidence is the key to success in all respects.
33. Be you, and try to be happy, but above all, be you
Being yourself is the way to happiness. So you have to be yourself.
34. Look at the sky, you will never find the rainbow if you always look down
You always gotta go with your head held high, Even in difficult times.
35. I am what I am: an individual, unique and different
A quote from Chaplin on individual differences.
36. There is nothing permanent about this evil world. Not even our problems
Problems don’t stay forever, so there’s no need to recreate them.
37. Words are cheap. The greatest thing you can say is the elephant
An ironic phrase about the ease of saying things. The real thing is to make them.
38. Time is the best author: it always finds a perfect ending
A sentence about patience and waiting. Time heals everything.
39. The saddest thing I can imagine is getting used to luxury
Chaplin and his aversion to the opulent life.
40. Don’t expect that it’s your turn to speak; really listen and you will be different
About the importance of listening. Before you speak, you must know how to listen.
41. Learn as if you were going to live your whole life, and live as if you were going to die tomorrow
Life should be lived with intensity, Because you only live once.
42. To work is to live and I love to live
Work is health, Work gives meaning to life. To work is to live.
43. Despair is a narcotic: it induces the indifference of the mind
Being always with the mind in negative hurts and paralyzes us.
44. Remember, whenever you can bend over and pick up nothing
A philosophical phrase in the style of this famous character from history.
45. The true creator despises technique understood as an end and not as a means
A sentence that talks about people who have a creative mindset.
46. The real meaning of things is to try to say the same things in other words
When you understand something, you can explain it in other words.
47. Imagination means nothing without doing
To bring imagination to life, you have to act. Otherwise, it will only stay in one thought.
48. Why should poetry have meaning?
Poetry is an expression of the soul. A deep and personal expression.
49. I always like to walk in the rain so no one can see me cry
As you walk in the rain, tears go unnoticed.
50. We think too much, we feel very little
You have to feel more and think less, says Charles Chaplin.
51. Life is wonderful if you are not afraid of it
Fear does not allow us to live life to its fullest intensity.
52. You must have confidence in yourself. This is where the secret lies. Even though I was in the orphanage and roamed the streets looking for food to live on, even then I considered myself the greatest actor in the world.
You have to believe in yourself because otherwise you are dead. We have to believe in ourselves even if things go against us.
53. Without absolute self-confidence, one is doomed to failure.
A sentence similar to the one above. Self-confidence drives us to success.
54. Without having known misery, it is impossible to know luxury
We don’t appreciate things if we haven’t suffered enough in this life.
55. The day when man realizes his errors, the progress of science will be completed
Human beings tend to make mistakes. It’s part of life.
56. It might have been you, but now was not the time
A phrase that illustrates how we can feel when we love someone but the relationship hasn’t worked out
57. When I started to love myself, I let go of everything that was not good for my health: people, things, situations and everything that pushed me down.
Sometimes to be happy, You have to change the habits and things that hurt you in this life
58. Einstein said to Chaplin: “What I have always admired about you is that your art is universal.” everyone understands and admires him. To which Chaplin replied: -It is much more worthy of respect: everyone admires it and hardly anyone understands it
A sentence from Chaplin on admiration.
59. Struggle to live life, suffer it and enjoy it -…
Life is a constant struggle. But in this struggle there is happiness and sadness.
60. If you don’t dream, you will never find what exceeds your dreams
A philosophical phrase that talks about the importance of setting goals and dreaming.
61. It’s a ruthless world and you have to be ruthless to survive.
Reflection on the individualism dominating our relationship.
62. I hate governments, rules and fetters
Chaplin declared himself an anarchist ideologically.
63. In the end, it’s all a gag
Charlie Chaplin likens life to a comic book, taking it epic to the story of life.
64. More than cunning, we need kindness
Lack of ethics produces deep crises
65. You will find that life is worth it if you smile
Something as simple as a smile can make all the difference
66. To really laugh, you have to be able to relieve the pain and play with it.
Moving away from personal tragedies makes us stronger
67. Simplicity is a difficult thing to achieve
The simple, paradoxically, is a challenge if you are to make it happen.
68. Life welcomes you when you make others happy
share the happiness it has a positive impact on oneself.
69. If I don’t write every day, I feel like I don’t deserve my food
Charlot talks about his need for improvement and productivity.
70. The true character of a man appears when he is drunk
Disinhibition can bring out honesty.
71. Life is a beautiful thing, even for a jellyfish
The benefits of life are expressed even in the simplest forms of life.
72. The essence of a great actor is that he loves himself while playing
Chaplin reflects on the sensations that characterize the actors.
73. I don’t think the public knows what they want
A reflection on the role of the spectator in the work of actors, directors and screenwriters.
74. The mirror is my best friend because I never laugh when I cry
Another of Charlie Chaplin’s tragically lyric phrases.
75. All I need for humor is a park, a cop and a beautiful woman
A gag requires a few simple ingredients.
76. I believe in the power of laughter and tears as an antidote to hatred and terror
The most basic emotions they can serve to unite the whole world.
77. The cinema is a fashion, the public prefers to see actors on a stage
A phrase by Chaplin seen in retrospect is comical.
78. I have a lot of problems, but my lips don’t know it because I’m always smiling
A positive attitude can make all the difference.
79. This is what we are: amateurs. We don’t live long enough to be anything else
Repeating for life is not enough to master it.
80. Concern yourself more with your conscience than with your reputation; because the first is who you are and the second is what others think you are
What others think of one is their problem.
81. My only enemy is time
A sentence that reflects the eroding power of time.
82. You can always bend down so as not to pick up anything
Effort is not always rewarded
83. I am an individual and I believe in freedom; it’s all politics that’s in me
The political ideology of this artist focused on fundamental and universal ideas.
84. Life is a desire, not a meaning
Charlot speaks of what, for him, characterized life; lack of meaning.
85. If people know how it’s done, the magic happens
A reflection on human potential.