Mad Men was an American series set in the 1960s, the plot takes place in a fictional marketing agency, located on Madison Avenue in New York. In this series we follow the personal and professional life of Don Draper, creative director, as well as the links he creates.
In the series, it is explained that the term “mad men” comes from popular New York publicist slang to refer to themselves and how they change in the fight to stay afloat.
If you want to see a compilation of the best quotes from Mad Menyou will like this compilation.
Memorable Mad Men Quotes
Struggle, persistence and challenges to overcome to conquer a goal, it is not only a personal search, but a race to succeed in the world of American advertising of the 1960s.
1. If they were trying to make you feel like you were different from them, you were. It’s a good way to be. (John Harris)
Differences are what make us unique and special.
2. Make it simple but meaningful. (Don Draper)
Simple things can be impressive, because they don’t need decorations to show their strength.
3. Born in 1898 in a barn. He died on the 37th floor of a skyscraper. She is an astronaut. (Bert Cooper)
Show how far we can go. Success is personal.
4. I go to a lot of places and always end up in a place I’ve been before. (Don Draper)
They say we return to places where we feel comfortable.
5. He may act like he wants a secretary, but most of the time he’s looking for something between a mother and a waitress. (John Holloway)
People build their relationships based on their past experiences.
6. This is America: pick a job and be the first person to do it. (Bobbie Barrett)
A country where competition is life itself.
7. People tell us who they are, but we ignore it because we want them to be what we want them to be. (Don Draper)
This is where the disappointments happen, when people show us that they are in fact different from what we think.
8. Honestly, why every time a man takes you to lunch here… were you dessert? (Peggy Olson)
A critique of men’s dual intent.
9. For most people, love isn’t just a slogan. (Rachel Menken)
In the consumer world, love is just a tool.
10. They say that when you drink less, you have a drinking problem. (Don Draper)
The signal that we need to change?
11. I should have known the end was coming. Every time an old man starts talking about Napoleon, they know he’s going to die. (Roger Sterling)
Do you think people know when they are going to die?
12. What is happiness? This is the moment before you need more happiness. (Don Draper)
Happiness is instantaneous, but it causes a great impact forever.
13. This poor girl. He doesn’t know that loving you is the worst way to inherit you. (Betty Francois)
Not all people are looking for love in their life.
14. I guess what I’m saying is that at some point we all park in the wrong parking lot. (Roger Sterling)
Making mistakes is part of growing, even when we seek companionship.
15. Advertising sells happiness. (Don Draper)
People are convinced they have something they didn’t think they needed.
16. An actor can’t cough and die before a Lucky commercial, it’s just common sense. (Harry Crane)
About commitment and role requirements.
17. Life is too long if you are alone. (Don Draper)
Loneliness can become a burden if we remain immersed in it.
18. You’re going to need a stronger stomach if you go back to the kitchen to see how the sausage is made. (Bert Cooper)
There are things we just don’t want to know how they are made.
19. Should I entertain your ballad of dissatisfaction, or did something really happen? Because I’m at work, honey. (Lane Price)
It is always better to speak honestly than to give clues that are not always understood.
20. You are painting a masterpiece, be sure to hide the brush strokes. (Betty Draper)
Does the end really justify the means?
21. You never know how loyalty is born. (Bert Cooper)
But when it is created, it is the most powerful support we can have.
22. One day you are there and suddenly there are fewer of you and you are wondering where this part went; Yes, it is living somewhere outside of you. (Peggy Olson)
Speaking of feeling lost and when you realize it, you forget how to get back.
23. Why does everyone need to talk about everything? (Don Draper)
Communication is a fundamental part of human relationships.
24. My job is to go hunting so they can shoot their guns within an inch of my ear and laugh when I jump because they do. I work (Ken Cosgrove)
Committed to what is meant to be done.
25. My mom wore a girdle all the time and always had a stomach ache and I always thought, ‘Would you rather have a stomach ache just to please daddy?’ (Sandy Schmidt)
Even bad times leave us with valuable lessons.
26. I am not the solution to your problems. I am another problem. (John Harris)
Not everyone around you is there to help you.
27. I don’t like vegetarian food, it reminds me of Lent. (Peggy Olson)
There are tastes that we lose because of a previous bad experience.
28. Let me ask you something: what do women want? (Don Draper)
A question to which still many men have not given an answer.
29. Do you know what would make you feel better? drugs (Amy)
Drugs can silence problems for a while, but ultimately they only generate more chaos.
30. We have flaws because we want so much more. We are ruined because we get these things and we want what we had. (Don Draper)
The problem with ambition is that we have a void that we cannot fill with anything.
31. Just cash the checks, you will die one day. (Ted Cough)
Don’t be ashamed to ask what your talents are worth.
32. Meet me in Africa. (Glen Bishop)
Do you have a place to get away?
33. Men don’t take the time to finish things. They will ignore you until you force them to tell you they hate you. (John Holloway)
There are those who would rather avoid conflict than face problems.
34. Perpetuate the lie. How do you sleep at night? (Roy)
Lies don’t last long.
35. Success comes from standing out, not fitting in. (Don Draper)
Stand out in what you do, don’t stay in the comfort zone.
36. Young people like risk because they cannot imagine the consequences. (Bert Cooper)
It’s common for teens to think of themselves as reckless because they don’t believe anything can go wrong.
37. Sex sells. (Peggy Olson)
Either out of pleasure, or out of illness, or out of indignation.
38. What would you do if you were me? would you love yourself (Betty Draper)
Before loving the other, you must love yourself.
39. It’s your life. You don’t know how long this will last, but you know it won’t end well. You must move on… As soon as you find out what it means. (Don Draper)
All that remains is for us to move on and find out which path we must take.
40. She is the apple that goes into the pig’s mouth. (Marie Calve)
The apple of discord?
41. We will be unlucky. We have decisions. (Peggy Olson)
Luck is given when we can take advantage of all the opportunities we can.
42. You don’t know me. And I don’t know you We just have the same problem. (Beth Dawes)
Two strangers can’t sustain a long-term commitment.
43. And you keep thinking maybe you’ll get it back, then you realize it just disappeared. (Peggy Olson)
There are times when you have to let go to be free.
44. You think you are going to start your life over and do it well, but what if you never go back to the beginning? (Peter Campbell)
Giving up is when you stop trying.
45. We are defective because we want too much. (Don Draper)
Vulnerability can be a defect.
46. People buy things to see their aspirations fulfilled, is the basis of our business. (Bertram Cooper)
Take advantage of people’s needs and desires to create a business.
47. You don’t kiss boys, boys kiss you. (Betty Francois)
A way to take control.
48. What you call love was invented by guys like me. Sell stockings. (Don Draper)
Despising the meaning of love in real life.
49. If I must die, let it be in Manhattan. (Peter Campbell)
There are those who have in mind a good place to want to die.
50. My dad used to say it would be the perfect job if it weren’t for the clients. (Roger Sterling)
Working with the public is not easy at all.
51. Friendship with the bottle attracts more people to advertising than any salary you can imagine. Cooper
Alcoholism is a serious problem that feeds on people’s problems and their search for an easy solution.
52. That’s life, one moment you’re on top, and the next a secretary is walking all over you with a pruning saw. (John Harris)
Success is not a life insurance guarantee.
53. If you don’t like what’s being said, change the conversation. (Don Draper)
Good adaptability is about changing your attitude for something better.
54. It was flirtatious, cheap business. You don’t want to escape with me. you just want to run away You were a coward! (Rachel Menken)
Not all love promises are really full of love, just convenience.
55. Sometimes we can’t choose where our talents are. (Don Draper)
It is our passions that lead us to where we should be.
56. Remember, Don. When God closes a door, he opens a robe. (Roger Sterling)
Never play with someone’s feelings just to comfort them.
57. Jane wanted a baby, but I thought, ‘Why do that to someone? (Matthew Weiner)
Not everyone wants to become a parent.
58. Change is neither good nor bad, it is simply change. (Don Draper)
It’s a natural part of life.
59. Dissatisfaction is a symptom of ambition. It is the coal that feeds the fire. (Trudy Campbell)
When we are not happy inside, we try to fill the void with material things that do not make us happy.
60. Because I want love. And I’d rather die waiting for that to happen than do some kind of repair. And you should too. (John Harris)
Finding love is one of the goals that many people share.