Sophocles (496 BC – 406 BC) born in Colon, near Athens, was a leading tragic poet of ancient Greece. Among his most famous works are Oedipus the King and Antigone.
Although he was a prolific author, only seven of his tragedies have been preserved intact and have been a touchstone for the tragic genre.
In order to approach the work and thoughts of this exceptional Greek poet, in today’s article we set out to compile the best Sophocles famous quotes and phrases.
“The 70 most famous sentences of Socrates”
“The 12 best phrases of Empédocle”
1. Truth can do more than reason.
A sample of its realism.
2. The same story is always repeated: each individual thinks only of himself.
Self-centeredness seems to be an inherent characteristic of the human species, according to Sophocles.
3. The noble thing is, even for an old man, to learn.
Constant learning gives us a better future.
4. What is good in the family is also a good citizen.
Loving and dedicated family member, civic and responsible citizen.
5. What you do without a friend is like what you do without your life.
Existence is too short not to have devotees by your side.
6. Get married; if by chance you meet a good woman, you will be happy; otherwise, you will become a philosopher, which is always useful to a man.
Either way, being happy is in your hands.
7. A man’s life cannot be judged until death puts an end to it.
There is always time to change course … until death stops us.
8. For those who are afraid, all is noise.
One of those Sophocles’ metaphorical phrases that tells us about a kind of hypochondria.
9. Children are the anchors that bind mothers to life.
On maternal love, infinite and eternal.
10. The best human work is to be useful to others.
Letting others benefit from your business is one of the best rewards.
11. Lying in the midst of misfortune, the soul sees many things.
When we are sunk, the soul rises afloat.
12. You ask me whether or not you should get married; then you will regret everything you do.
Sophocles’ ironic sentence in the face of a citizen’s doubt.
13. Heaven never helps the man who does not want to act.
If you are unable to act, do not expect the universe to bring you riches.
14. The greatest joy is the unexpected.
Reflection on happiness.
15. Knowledge is the most significant part of happiness.
Coinciding with other Greek thinkers, Sophocles attached great importance to the accumulation of knowledge.
16. It is terrible to speak well when you are wrong.
Extensive use of the oratory does not guarantee the truth.
17. It is common to make mistakes. But when he has made a mistake, it is not a lack of will, or will, to try to correct the mistake and not insist on it. Stubbornness is another name for stupidity.
Correcting your own mistakes is a sign of maturity and responsibility.
18. A lie never lives to grow old.
He has very short legs.
19. The worst evil of man is lightness.
Who does not know how to think, will not know how to live.
20. Constant and perpetual wealth is virtue.
Great reflection of Sophocles.
21. Many things are miraculous, but none are like man. He has resources for everything; only death failed to prevent it.
Optimistic with the human species, Sophocles thus spoke of the creative potential of each person.
22. The wicked is known in a day; it takes longer to know the right man.
About types of people and their ethical or evil backgrounds.
23. Death is not the greatest evil: it is worse to want to die and not be able to do so.
A sentence that seems to speak of the need to legalize euthanasia.
24. Not being born can never be the greatest favor.
A somewhat pessimistic view of existence.
25. It is always good to sail when you are fleeing from evil.
Metaphor to apply to life.