Stephen William Hawking was a theoretical physicist, astrophysicist and science broadcaster Very popular Briton today, in large part because of his innovative thinking on black holes and relativity. He is also known to have written several popular science books, including “A Brief History of Time”.
He suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and despite his poor prognosis, he continued to provide exceptional knowledge.
Stephen Hawking’s Scientific Phrases and Thoughts
In honor of this famous figure in the scientific field, below you can find a collection of Stephen Hawking’s best phrases.
1. Life would be tragic if it weren’t for fun
Fortunately, humans can have fun. It is the best antidote if something goes wrong.
2. The aliens are visiting us, the result will be like when Columbus came to America, which was not so good for the Native Americans.
A quote from Hawking with a certain joke tone that talks about alien life.
3. I think computer viruses shouldn’t count as life. I think that says something about human nature: that the only way of life we have created is purely destructive.
Human beings can be extremely destructive people. Look at how some behave.
4. Einstein was wrong when he said that “God does not play dice with the Universe”. Considering the assumptions of black holes, God doesn’t just play dice with the Universe: sometimes he throws them where we can’t see them.
Again, another sentence with a joke tone. This time, on the complexity of the universe.
5. People who brag about their IQ are losers
People should be humble, even with reference to our intelligence.
6. We must try to understand the beginning of the Universe from a scientific basis. It may be a task beyond our capabilities, but at least we should try to
Understanding the Universe as a whole is one of the tasks that the human species must accomplish.
7. We are just an advanced race of apes on a planet smaller than an average star. But we can understand the Universe. It makes us very special
The search for knowledge about the Universe has always inspired Hawking.
8. Science predicts that many different types of universes would be spontaneously created out of nothing. It’s a matter of chance we’re in
Hawking has made great strides in science. The universe is one of his favorite subjects.
9. Women. They are a complete mystery
A phrase that should be taken with a sense of humor.
10. Adaptation to the environment is what we call intelligence
Intelligence is the ability we have to adapt to those around us.
11. I am not afraid of death, but I am in no rush to die. I have so many things I wanna do before
Hawking suffers from a serious illness, but has never lost the will to live.
12. We must remember things in the order in which entropy increases.
Hawking is a great theorist. One of the great geniuses of today.
13. There is no greater challenge in studying the Universe
For Hawking, we have to understand the Universe. This is our mission.
14. When we look at the Universe, we see it as it was in the past.
The Universe is too huge not to notice the changes taking place.
15. If there were events before this date, it could not affect what is happening today. Its existence can be ignored, as it would have no observation consequences
A beautiful quote from this character, which invites deep reflection.
16. The destructive power of man amazes me more and more
Human beings can be really destructive between us.
17. The human race needs an intellectual challenge. It must be boring to be God, and have nothing to discover
A date with a touch of irony which speaks of intelligence.
18. Each of us exists for a short period of time, and during that time we can only explore a small part of the entire Universe.
We must take advantage of our daily lives to do research, because we do not live forever.
19. I love physics, but I love cartoons
No one would say Hawking likes cartoons.
20. The Universe Does Not Allow Perfection
One of those thoughts that doesn’t come to everyone’s mind about the structure of the cosmos.
21. It is uncertain whether intelligence has a value for long-term survival.
Hawking invites deep thought with this excellent quote.
22. Nothing can exist forever
Hawking reminds us that everything has a beginning and an end.
23. The voice I use is that of an old synthesizer made in 1986. I still keep it because I still can’t hear a voice that I like better and because now I already identify with it.
Hawking’s disease does not allow him to speak, but he continues to communicate.
24. The future cannot be predicted
The future is unpredictable, even if there are people who insist on making it believe.
25. Every time I hear about this cat, I start to pull out my gun
Hawking doesn’t seem like much of an animal lover.
26. The human capacity for guilt is such that people can always find a way to blame themselves
Many times we make the mistake of blaming ourselves for everything. We are very demanding.
27. The old paradox: Can God make a stone so heavy that he cannot lift it?
With this sentence, Hawking seeks to challenge the belief that God exists.
28. If we find a complete theory, it must be understandable by all. Then everyone, philosophers, scientists and normal people could participate in the discussion about the reason for our existence and the universe.
Hawking would like us to fully understand the universe.
29. The universe has not just one story, but any possible story
We humans have failed to explain with certainty what the Universe is and why it exists.
30. I have noticed that even people who say that everything is predestined and that we cannot do anything to change our destiny, still look before crossing the street
Another sentence that comes to say that the future is unpredictable.
31. Through genetic engineering, we will be able to increase the complexity of our DNA and improve the human race. But it will be a slow process, because it will take 18 years to see the effect of changes in the genetic code.
Scientists are working so that in the future we can improve the human condition.
32. We cannot argue with a mathematical theorem
In the author’s opinion, mathematical theorems are sacred.
33. The best proof that navigation in time is impossible is the fact that they have not been invaded by future tourists.
Hawking has a great sense of humor as he demonstrates with this sentence.
34. One of the great mysteries of this life is the woman
For Hawking, a lot of scientific knowledge is needed to understand the female mind.
35. I have been immersed in science all my life, now I am ready to pray
Science and theology are not compatible.
36. Calm and silent people are the noisiest and loudest minds.
Quiet people are generally caring.
37. I would like nuclear fusion to become a practical source of energy. It would provide an inexhaustible source of energy, without pollution and without global warming
Hawking believes that nuclear fusion would bring many benefits to people.
38. By memorizing something, we increase the disorder of the Universe
A certainly a curious phrase, worthy of a great thinker.
39. Time travel has long been considered science fiction, but Einstein’s general theory of relativity allows for the possibility of warping space-time so much that you could get on a rocket and return to it more. early.
Another one of those tongue-in-cheek quotes Hawking is used to is about time travel.
40. Although September 11 was horrific, it did not threaten the survival of the human race, as nuclear weapons do.
A reflection of Hawking about the attack on the twin towers.
41. Obviously, due to my disability, I need help. But I have always tried to overcome my limitations in my condition and lead as full a life as possible. I have traveled the world from Antarctica to weightlessness
Peddling has often been shown to be an example of self-improvement.
Mankind’s greatest successes have happened to express themselves and their greatest failures not to express themselves. It doesn’t have to be so
Communication can avoid conflicts between people.
43. Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change
Human beings adapt to the changing environment. Hawking proved it.
44. You cannot afford to be mentally and physically disabled
Despite the limitations of his illness, Hawking remains on top of science.
45. The danger is that our power to harm or destroy the environment or our peers increases at a much faster rate than our wisdom to use that power.
Instead of using intelligence to be better people, many people use it for their own benefit.
46. People are different in IC, but we are all equally worthy
intelligence it does not determine the dignity of people.
47. It is generally accepted that women are better than men at languages, personal relationships and multitasking. But worse in map reading and spatial awareness. It would therefore not be unreasonable to think that women would be worse off in mathematics and physics.
A quote from Hawking that can give a lot to say and that can generate a lot of debate.
48. When expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates all that one has.
At the worst times, it’s when you release your best version.
49. Our only chance for long-term survival is to expand into space. The answers to these questions show that we have made great strides in the past hundred years, but if we are to go beyond the next hundred years, the future is in space. This is why I am in favor of space flights
The conquest of space is the only thing that can save humanity in the future.
50. I hardly know mathematicians who reason
A funny thought about mathematicians.
51. Since there is a law like that of gravity, the Universe could have been created out of nothing, as it happened. Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something, instead of nothing, that the Universe exists, that we exist
Again, Hawking harshly criticizing the belief that God exists.
52. The whole history of science has gradually come to understand that events do not happen arbitrarily, but that they reflect a certain underlying, which may or may not be divine inspiration.
In reality, Hawking considers that divine inspiration is not possible.
53. There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win by working
Again, another critique of religious thought.
54. As my disease progresses, I have a lot to do and I want to do it as soon as possible
His illness never immobilized him, as Hawking remained active. .
55. My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the Universe, because it is as it is and because it exists
Hawking has never hidden what he lives for and to understand the universe.
56. One billion billion miles (1 with twenty zeros behind) miles is the size of the observable Universe.
The universe is infinite, even if Hawking puts it a size.
57. The remaining radiation of the Big Band is the same as that of your microwave but much less strong
A comparison between the radiation caused by the Big Bang and that used by the microwave.
58. I think everyone should have an overview of how the Universe works and its place in it
Knowledge of the universe it should be basic human desire.
59. Even if there was only one unifying theory, it is only a series of rules and equations.
Theories can be debated and improved.
60. One of the fundamental rules of the Universe is that nothing is perfect. Perfection doesn’t just exist … without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist
You don’t have to be obsessed with perfection because it doesn’t exist.
61. To limit our attention to earthly matters would be to limit the human mind.
Our knowledge of life it must go beyond the borders of the earth.
62. With computer viruses, we have created a way of life in our image and likeness
Human beings have the unfortunate ability to destroy themselves.
63. God not only plays the dice, but sometimes throws them where no one can see them
A sentence that makes reference to black holes.
64. Black holes aren’t really black, after all: they glow like a hot body, and the smaller they are, the brighter they are.
We cannot understand the universe without understanding black holes.
65. It is not enough for me to wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair betrays me
Hawking is a famous person who is highly respected for his discoveries.
66. If you have a hard time getting humans to follow the laws of transit, imagine convincing an asteroid to move along an ellipse.
The complexity of the Universe is equal to or greater than what we experience on Earth.
67. It doesn’t occur to me how God could have created this world
It seems incredible that God could create anything that would have been created.
68. If it is possible to travel, I can be young again
Time travel is impossible, Although many would like it to be possible.
69. The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge
Thinking that we know everything is the biggest mistake a person can make.
70. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it
Work is an important part of our well-being and is important for our personal development.
71. What happens to smart people is they look crazy to stupid people
Ignorant people tend to live centered on their world.
72. We create history by our observation, rather than creating our own history
One of those deep quotes that forces you to consider your life.
73. We just have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life can become something we wouldn’t want to know.
Some people use their intelligence in a negative way.
74. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the fuse and set the universe in motion
Hawking was never a fan of religion. He doesn’t believe in God.
75. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with a theory, one can never be sure that next time the result will not contradict that theory.
Theories must be objective. It is a fundamental task of any researcher.
76. To survive as a species, in the long term, we must travel to the stars
One of those views by Stephen Hawking in which it’s unclear whether optimism or pessimism prevails.
77. Life is a wonderful thing
Despite his poor health, this scientist never focused on the negative aspects of life.
78. Robots could take control and get to a point where they can get themselves
One of the fatalistic predictions linked to the development of new technologies.
79. I believe that the universe is governed by the laws of science. These may have been created by God, but God does not step in to break these rules
Stephen Hawking has denied being religious in the usual sense.
80. We must leave Earth in a hundred years
This was one of the most widespread statements by this scientist, and was related to his belief that resources will run out – very quickly due to the deterioration of existing ecosystems today.
81. Next time they talk to someone who denies the existence of climate change, suggest taking a trip to Venus
82. The universe does not need God’s help to begin to exist
Another of Stephen Hawking’s quotes about religion.
83. Remember to look at the stars and not at your feet
An inspiring phrase that can be translated into a philosophy of life to guide you.
84. We are all connected via the Internet, like neurons in a brain
As for the connection clean of new times.
85. Science is not only a discipline of reason, it is also a discipline of romance and passion
Hawking, destroying stereotypes linked to the world of science.