Resentment is a feeling close to hatred and resentment. When we feel resentful towards someone who has hurt or humiliated us in the past, we rule out the possibility of forgiveness and stay grounded in what caused us pain.
Like all human feelings, resentment can be adaptive. However, going too far can have a boomerang effect and not let us fly back and be happy on our own.
- “31 phrases of envy that represent envious”
- “25 sentences of betrayal (in a relationship or in friendship)”
Famous phrases of resentment, resentment and hate
Many writers and thinkers in history have uttered surprising phrases of resentment, Reflection on this unpleasant emotion emanating from hatred and resentment.
In this article, we have put together all of these famous quotes to invite you to analyze resentment and make positive decisions for your future.
1. Resentment is a bottomless abyss. Or a burning wasteland without borders. (Miguel Gutiérrez)
A sentence of poetic resentment that invites us to reflect.
2. You couldn’t be full of hate and be pretty. Like any girl, I wanted to be pretty. But she was full of hate. (Alice Sebold)
Resentment from a female point of view. An excerpt from “Afortunada”, published in 1999.
3. Life is resentful and ruthless, but despite everything, it is worth it. (Mónica Carrillo)
A thought of the Spanish writer and journalist.
4. This city is not extinguished by fire, this laurel with resentment is not cut down. This unlucky rose, this happy lavender exhales. (Miguel Hernández)
A poem by the great Spanish writer.
5. Resentment is the flow box of evil. (Miguel Mihura)
The antechamber of hatred, the prologues of aggression. Phrase of the great Miguel Mihura.
6. The last few weeks have refreshed me with some resentment. Or maybe they have become more rancid. (Xavier Velasco)
A feeling that the more we rot, the more we let it live in our mind.
7. Resentment can be an adaptive feeling until we realize it is affecting our self-esteem. (Jonathan Garcia-Allen)
Reflection of the Catalan psychologist and writer.
8. Our resentment has just fallen below our means without being able to reach us. And we will never forgive others for that. (Emil Cioran)
Self-concept and how we compare ourselves to others is the genesis of resentment and resentment.
9. To live happily, you must live without resentment. (Yasmina Khadra)
The Algerian writer leaves us with a maxim that must be kept in mind.
10. It is not possible to take off again in flight if we are anchored to the ground in resentment. (Adrián Triglia)
Reflection of the Spanish writer and social psychologist.
11. One of the reasons I didn’t hold a grudge against him or have bad feelings for my father must have been that my mother rarely blamed him; at least he didn’t do it in front of us or for us to listen to him. (Ben Carson)
Childhood is a key stage in understanding why we are inclined to hold onto this resentment towards others.
12. Memory that does not forget, resentment that is not appeased. (Hernán Cortés)
Sometimes it’s better to forgive and start from scratch.
13. Resentment drowns us, forgiveness oxygenates us. (Krishnamurti)
A metaphor for learning to forgive.
14. Forgetting things is the worst thing that can happen to you, I remember everything. What I don’t keep is resentment, because things happen and that’s it, period. I think you have to be positive, always look to the future and think that what is to come is always better than what has happened. (Víctor Manuel)
A cheerful and positive look at the subject of personal quarrels and the past.
15. I did not feel any resentment towards the company because it did not belong to them. (Charles Bukowski)
Always irreverent, the German author.
16. Resentment drives your soul when it gives in to forgiveness. (Guy Fields)
Another sentence of resentment that contrasts this feeling with the art of Ho’ponopono.
17. How quickly we forget resentment when this person has something that interests us. (Anonymous)
Certainly our minds prompt us to be more understanding and forgiving with those with whom we have no choice but to cooperate.
18. I don’t blame you, but I don’t have amnesia either. (Anonymous)
Not being resentful does not mean not being aware of the past.
19. Resentment is only a sign of the presence of memories. (Anonymous)
A sign that we do not forget the past and that it continues to anchor us in certain negative and limiting feelings.
20. If you are not yet dead, forgive. Resentment is dense, it is worldly; leave it on the ground: it dies light. (Jean paul Sartre)
Sentence of resentment from the exceptional French philosopher.
21. Christianity has in its very essence the resentment of the sick, the instinct against the healthy, against the health. Everything that is well built, proud, courageous and above all beautiful offends the ears and the eyes. (Friedrich Nietzsche)
A critique of the German philosopher’s Christian belief system.
22. Greatness inspires envy, envy resentment and resentment of lies. (JK Rowling)
The author of Harry Potter thus speaks of resentment.
23. Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for it to kill your enemies. (Nelson Mandela)
Unfortunately, it only hurts you.
24. “He insulted me; that hurts me; he defeated me; he stripped me ”… Among those who harbor such grudges, hatred never ceases. (Buddha)
The spiritual leader Buddha thus speaks of resentment and hatred.
25. Nothing on earth consumes a man faster than the passion of resentment. (Friedrich Nietzsche)
A direct route to emotional and existential crisis.
26. If you resent someone else, destroy the bridge through which God will come to seek them. (Peter Marshall)
A religious view of resentment and hatred and its negative effects.
27. He who demands much from himself and very little from others will keep himself as an object of resentment. (Confucius)
Having a very high self-concept can border on narcissism.
28. Oh, resentment! Too old for such tender youth … (William Shakespeare)
Here are 73 more quotes from William Shakespeare.
29. Anger will disappear as soon as the thoughts of resentment are forgotten. (John Dryden)
Another famous quote that invites us to let go of the burden of hate and resentment.
30. Cursed resentment, I spent the best years of my life focusing on the evil of the past, instead of focusing on the saying of the present … (Walter Riso)
The Latin American writer regrets having focused his mind on the negative.
31. A coach is someone who can correct without causing resentment. (John Wooden)
The precursor of basketball had this take on the role of the coach.
32. The heart is like a garden. Compassion or fear, resentment or love can grow. What will you plant there then? (Jack Kornfield)
A beautiful phrase with which to think about and change our lives.
33. Where there is resentment, there are memories. (Ángeles Mastretta)
It is virtually impossible not to keep these negative memories.
34. If you allow yourself to be overcome with resentment, the flower of hope will cease to bloom. (Jorge Belzunces)
Don’t be corrupted by bad feelings.
35. Is there anything useful about feeling resentful? Anchoring the frustrations of the past will only imprison our creative talent … (Bertrand Regader)
Reflection of the Spanish educational psychologist and writer.
36. May resentment only last 10 minutes, may kindness accompanies the rest of the time. (Richard Sennett)
A philosophy of life to look to the future with optimism and without pending accounts.
37. Resentment is the best way to dig a deep hole from which it becomes more and more difficult to escape. (Anonymous)
Don’t let your mind create trouble where the air is best.
38. If there is one thing that characterizes successful people, it is their ability to let go of all the bad and focus only on the positive. (Elon Musk)
Nice reflection of the businessman and founder of Amazon.
39. Resentment? I prefer to live. (Isabel Allende)
Reflection of the Chilean writer.
40. If you love your life, worry about the buildable, not the miserable. (Anonymous)
Another reflection so as not to waste time on things that do not bring anything positive to our existence.