Joan Manuel Serrat is one of the great figures of music the most popular Spanish and Catalan. Born in 1943 to a Catalan father and an Aragonese mother, this musician, singer-songwriter, writer and poet (who also worked as an actor in the 60s and 70s) has received numerous awards for his contribution to musical and literary culture. .
Song, tango, boleros and homage to several great figures of poetry like Machado, Lorca and Neruda are distinctive elements of their work, performing works in Catalan and Spanish. In fact, he was going to be about to represent Spain at Eurovision Song Contest with the song “La, la, la”, but his intention to sing it in Catalan to protest against the marginalization of this language during the years of the dictatorship, he ended up giving the singer Massiel a pose.
Below you can find a selection of 75 sentences by Joan Manuel Serrat which bring us a little closer to the thought and the way of seeing the life of this figure of Spanish music.
Phrases and verses by Joan Manuel Serrat
This collection of phrases from this famous musician, poet and singer-songwriter allows you to better understand his work and his way of seeing things.
1. There is nothing more beautiful than what I have ever had, nothing more loved than what I have lost. Forgive me if today I look in the sand, a full moon, which has scratched the sea
What we lose or never achieve is usually what we want most and what motivates us to keep fighting. What prompts us to dream.
2. Wherever you are, you’ll love to know that I could forget about you and didn’t want to, and no matter how cold my sad night was, I won’t go to fire not a single one of the kisses you gave me. ‘gave
A breakup or a disappointment in love it can cause deep suffering, but it does not mean erasing all the beauty and beauty that this relationship meant.
3. Love is not literature if it cannot be written on the skin
It is very good to theorize about love, but the important thing about this concept is not to understand it but to live it. Only the one who loves can understand it and see its beauty.
4. I prefer to love the power, to feel walking, to win to lose, to kiss to argue, to dance to parade and to enjoy to measure. I prefer to fly to run, to make people think, to like to want, to take in order to ask. First of all I’m a supporter of life
This phrase encourages us to focus on life and truly experience the finer things in life, rather than just observing them.
5. Without utopia, life would be a test for death
Maybe utopias are unattainable, but not essential as they allow us to get excited and fight to achieve something as close to our dreams as possible. If we could have whatever we wanted, it wouldn’t make sense to struggle.
6. The truth is never sad. What you don’t have is a cure
Reality can be harsh. We cannot control what is going on or how things are going. But that doesn’t make her sad, but the latter depends on how we approach it.
7. Today can be a great day, think about it, enjoy it or it will be partly up to you
Good or bad things can happen in life, but we must act and live if we are to have a rich and happy life.
8. Each madman with his subject, against tastes there are not and cannot be disputes, artefacts, beasts, men and women, everyone is as he is, everyone is everything the world and go down the stairs as he wants
Everyone must live their life freely and how they want to live it, and they must be able to have their preferences and be able to do the things they want as long as they do not infringe on the freedom of others.
9. Do not choose a single part, take me as I give myself, whole and as I am, do not be mistaken
This phrase makes us reflect on the need to accept and love others as they are, without idealizing them or focusing only on a specific part.
10. I don’t know if I like more what sets you apart from me or what we have in common.
Similar and different can cause us both attraction and repulsion. When dealing with people, we are often drawn to a strange mix of the two opposites (although relationships in which there are more similarities than differences seem to work better).
11. In this life, the important thing is not what happens to you, but how you deal with it.
Serrat tells us that what really matters is how we take things and how we manage them, whatever things we have to go through. We chose how to act in front of them.
12. It would be great if there was nothing rushing, never to go overboard and serve something, to go through life without compliments calling things by their name charge cash and feel well treated, and pee.
This sentence, in short, concerns encourage us to enjoy and live life to the fullest.
13. These are the little things that a time of roses left us in a corner, on a sheet of paper or in a drawer. Like a thief lurking behind the door. They have you like their dead leaves
The power of the little things and their importance for enjoying life even if they are usually not taken into account.
14. I always think that when a river crosses a place and the human being insists on diverting its course, even during the development of engineering works, it generates that at some point the river flows again there. where we want
Nature takes its course regardless of what we do and how we try to manipulate it. This applies both to the natural environment and to our interior.
15. The miracle of existing, the instinct to seek, the fortune to find, the pleasure of knowing
This sentence sums up some of the little big things in life that make us appreciate.
16. For you, for you my sun shone one day, and when I think of you it shines again, without the melancholy of fleeting eternal loves obscuring it
Thinking about the loved one brings back the sensations and emotions caused by their mere presence, which makes us reborn from the illusion and desire for more.
17. Children often resemble us, thus giving us the first satisfaction; those who move with our gestures, resorting to everything that surrounds them
Children are a reflection of who we are and what we have transmitted, being understanding to observe how they acquire our gestures and learn from us.
18. There are people who believe that because they laugh, the lame man has a sense of humor. You have to laugh when it’s the one who falls. You have a lot more fun
Laughing at someone doesn’t mean having a sense of humor. This sun appears when what you are laughing at is actually and not the person, possibly laughing at yourself and your own awkwardness.
19. Explain to your heart that there is always a hidden reason in every gesture.
Everything we do has meaning and significance, especially when we dedicate it to personal interaction with someone close to our hearts.
20. Children learn little words; they only serve your actions and their consistency with the words
Serrat tells us in this sentence that educating is based on example and live consistently with what is said and intended to be instilled.
21. Blessed are those who taste failure because they will recognize their friends
It is not in victory but in defeat, in the bad times, in which you notice who is with you and who really loves you.
22. That you will be what it will be, slag of mortals, a perfect villain, but with good manners
Being politically correct and acting politely does not prevent you from taking actions that harm others or acting in accordance with prosocial values.
23. Everything is important, because it is only through small things that one can do some big
To achieve our goals, we must take a long and winding road. There is no shortcut. Every step is important.
24. Blessed are those who love because they have at their disposal more than fifty percent of great romance
Romance between two people requires that the two love each other. Fortunately, someone who loves another person is already halfway there.
25. I believe that only respect for the idea of neighbor gives you permission to respect your own. I am not on the persecution committee
The author urges us to always respect the opinion of others even if it is contrary to our own.
26. There is no manual: the world of sensations and relationships is full of unforeseen events
There is no set way of doing things right or wrong when we talk about feelings. Personal relationships are variable and dynamicSignificant changes may occur or different variables may appear at any time.
27. Nothing and no one can stop them from suffering, with the hands moving on the clock, from deciding for them, from making mistakes, from growing up and saying goodbye to us someday.
In this sentence we can see how the author refers to the passage of time and the need to accept that those we want to make their own lives. In particular, we can see the gradual growth and autonomy of children reflected.
28. They give you life but they do not give it to you. Life pays more than it costs you. This has been the case since God put man in Eden, to confuse what is right with what is right for him.
We must live with intensity, but that does not take away from the fact that we also have duties and obligations towards the rest of the world. What we like or love is not necessarily right and we must take responsibility for the consequences of our actions.
29. I claim the realism of dreaming of a future where life is better, and relationships that are fairer, richer and more positive, and always at peace.
Although it may seem a bit utopian, fighting for a better future is something necessary to make it happen and come as close as possible.
30. I feel like in life we’ve written only one song. It’s the same. Unless the story itself is betrayed
This phrase tells us to be true to ourselves and to live our life, our “only song”.
31. When the show ends, I usually think that this beautiful thing that happens is not real. And I also think that the next day this beautiful thing will not happen again. But incredibly it happens again
Sometimes we think that when we finish something that makes us especially excited, when it’s over, it won’t happen again. But even though we believe the above to be true, we may experience the same sensations again in the future.
32. Don’t ask me not to think out loud for my own good, or to get on a stool, if you want I will try to grow taller
This phrase indicates that we should not dictate what others should do or force them to take concrete positions or advance their own mental growth. We need to let others mature and learn from the experience.
33. Blessed are those who are at the bottom of the well because from now on it only remains to get better
We may be totally upset, but there comes a time when it can’t be worse. It only remains to work to overcome this state and gradually progress to improve the situation.
34. When I sleep I see clearly, crazy about a sweet metzina
This phrase refers to dreams, whether about things that turn us on or about love.
35. Perfume its loathing with exquisite urbanity
The author indicates to us the tendency to disguise cruelty, contempt, ignorance and prejudice under the guise of sophistication and naturalness.
36. Just if we all understood that we all wear an old envelope
If nothing extraordinary happens, we will all age physically and mentally.
37. Without haste but without pause, like drizzle, from an early childhood they prepare the bait: “If you don’t eat the soup, the coconut will bring you.” “Impure touches will leave you blind.” And they harass you for life, sparking fear, fishing the murky river of sin and virtue, selling a cat for a hare at the expense of a creed that makes broken dishes that you end up paying for.
This phrase reflects how education is often based on fear and the pursuit of morality, ignoring our desires and our true nature.
38. Cultivate good manners for your bad examples if you don’t want your peers to point fingers at you. Cover your low instincts with lambskin. The habit does not make the monk, but it gives the staff
this sentence denounces the hypocrisy of society and the pursuit of an appearance of rightness and virtuosity even though our actions and thoughts are contrary to that appearance.
39. You have nothing to fear, in bad weather, fair face, the constitution protects you, justice defends you, the police guard you, the union supports you, the system supports you
This phrase prompts us to live our life as we want and without fear, whether the world supports us or we are persecuted by it.
40. Blessed are the poor, for they know that no one wants them for their wealth.
This sentence shows that those who have little will not be loved precisely for economic interests, but if someone wants it, they will be loved sincerely or for other reasons.
41. Selling is always … Like this joke: we already have the capitalist. Now whoever puts his ass is gone. It’s all about increasing the price. There are times when yes it’s amazing how little some humans sell
Serrat criticizes in this sentence how everything is commodified.
42. Blessed are those who boast of their redemption, for they will have the opportunity to
Those who brag about a quality or characteristic usually have to prove it sooner or later, when they are required to do so. It will be at this point where it will be proven whether they own it or not.
43. We spend our little will
An incitement to freedom and madness. In short, to live.
44. Adjust the males, take a deep breath, swallow saliva, run and open the door, get out, cross your fingers, touch wood
This sentence prompts us to have courage and to dare to take risks.
45. And with the hangover over the poor return to their poverty, the rich return to their wealth and the lord rector to his masses
No matter how we are, in the end most people have more in common than they think. We are all born and die, and the different things we experience affect us all (albeit in different ways). And while we may temporarily disappear, we must return to our lives.
46. Like a kaleidoscope of tiny crystals, it changes pattern and color, whether it’s dawn, the sun is shining, or it has rained. And it fills my world with flowers
Beautiful sentence that speaks to us of the presence of excitement and hope, which allows us to change our way of seeing the world.
47. Tomorrow is just an adverb of time
This phrase prompts us to enjoy the present and strive for what we want in the present, because we don’t know what will happen in the future.
48. It is better to put on the best of optimism that we have, at least that of hope, and we think things go as far as we are able to push back from honesty and whatnot. everyone knows how to do it.
Serrat tells us in this sentence that we must not give up our hopes and that we must try to push ourselves to achieve them.
49. Under a sky which, by dint of never seeing the sea, has forgotten to cry
This phrase reflects the importance of experiencing positive things and struggling to try to achieve our dreams, reminding us of the effect of losing our goals, hope and hope.
50. It is difficult for men to move forward other than together
Human beings cannot develop than when they do it in collaboration with their fellow human beings.
51. It’s not that I didn’t come back because I forgot … it’s that I lost my way home
sometimes we do things that don’t allow us to go back, Or we just don’t want to do it because we got past what we left behind.
52. The common comforts me, the different stimulates me
This phrase, referring to the realm of personal relationships but applicable to other aspects, tells us that different and similar are valuable elements to appreciate and that they allow us to activate and feel love or feelings. connections.
53. I know what I’m looking for, because I know what I’m feeling
One of the most important things to know and to set goals for is to admit and accept the things that we feel.
54. In many cases, society persists in confronting local anxieties with the anxieties of the neighbor, as if our local anxieties were resolved by impeding the progress of the neighbor.
Comparing ourselves to others and trying to overcome them does not bring us happiness or solve our own problems.
55. The great enemy of our society is fear, the fear of losing even what we do not have, of losing things that we do not yet have, those which are not very intuitive but not consolidated.
We are afraid of losing both what we have already accomplished and what we could achieve. We must overcome this fear, otherwise we will facilitate its realization and prevent it from moving forward.
56. Blessed are those who have incurred debts because someone once did something for them
Going into debt means that at some point someone did something to help us, which implies that we have been precious sort of by someone says.
57. And your shadow will still sleep in my bed with the darkness, between my pillow and my loneliness
This sentence speaks to us of nostalgia, of missing people who left us on our side.
58. It was involuntary, luck is capricious, I did not look for you nor you did not come to seek me
Sometimes luck, chance, fate, or whatever we want to call it puts wonderful people in our path who will be a part of our lives forever.
59. We must remember the past, but we must work for the future by thinking that the future is the present
We can learn from what has already happened, but the fact is. We need to focus on the present and on what we’re going to do.
60. Playing naked on the sand yesterday, my childhood little by little I saw pass, he escaped without realizing it barely dreaming of flying
Serrat tells us in this sentence the importance of innocence and the illusion of childhood, which made us and still make us dream.
61. The education of a person is a three-legged stool where on the one hand there is the school, then there is the house and also on the other side of the street, the environment.
Family, school and social environment are the main influences that will allow a person to develop, acquire values and knowledge and build his own identity.
62. The ban seems to me an unfair punishment for which you are never prepared
Censorship and banning what we want it’s a punishment that makes us suffer, Especially when this punishment is unwarranted.
63. You can always choose in life. A lot of things help in the election. It helps a lot the world around you, the intimate and emotional world, friends … Basically it depends on the close information you have and the priority you give to things
We always have the possibility of choosing, a possibility which will be influenced by several factors.
64. Your laughter sets me free, gives me wings. Loneliness takes me away, prison tears me apart
Making those we love happy makes us feel that all is well, that we can make our dreams come true, and that everything is worth it.
65. I’m not going to make you a colder or sweeter coffee with milk but think of me, child, think of me
We might not be fantastic or can’t change the world of the person we love, but that doesn’t take away from the desire to be together.
66. The problem is in this concept that humanity has in general that everything belongs to everyone, and then I can do whatever I want, I have no obligation to rest anything, and of a somehow the basic concept of where I came from disappears, where I go, what I take, what I leave and who I come from and who I will continue
Equal opportunities and access to resources do not imply that we have no responsibility in this regard. We must not forget that we have both rights and obligations to ourselves and to the rest of the world.
67. I want to cry with those who are alone and without love crossing the world
Loneliness and lack of love are a source of great frustration for many people, causing deep feeling of abandonment and sadness.
68. That with a smile I give all that I am
Again, this phrase refers to the smile of someone we love or love, from that simple gesture of being loved something so that the one who loves can do anything.
69. The emotion of undressing … And of discovering, little by little, the game. The rite of caress by setting fire
We can see in this sentence how the author clearly refers to passion, evoking the sensuality and the caress of the lover on the skin of the beloved.
70. Everything is ready, water, sun and mud but if you miss there will be no miracle
Serrat uses this analogy with the creation myth of various cultures to show the need for a loved one.
71. The power of songs is terrible. They certainly don’t change anything, they don’t change history, but they accompany it. They can’t win any wars, but they can accompany those who fight
Music and expression of emotionsDeeper values and feelings can generate great changes, accompany great moments, motivate others, and even provoke the birth of new feelings, thoughts and actions.
72. Give the experience the day off to begin with, and receive it as if it were a saving feast. Don’t allow it to fade, tip over, and consume life in bulk. Today can be a beautiful day: take it with you
Enjoying the day and life without taking into account previous aversive experiences is what Serrat proposes in this sentence.
73. I still believe in commitment. I believed in him all my life. And he does not abandon the idea that man is the master of his future.
We are free to choose how to live our life, with what or with whom to engage. The idea of doing it and committing to something involves being consistent with yourself, your own values, and your given word.
74. I believe that in human beings the limits are not fixed, for they are constantly marked by circumstances.
For Serrat, human beings have no more limits than circumstances dictate and can go far beyond what most of us think we can achieve.
75. My heart also awaits, towards light and towards life, another miracle of spring
Hope is a basic thing for human beings, which can lead us to wait for amazing things to happen, to prevent us from surrendering and keep fighting. And sometimes it happens that our dreams come true.