François-Marie Arouet, more commonly known as Voltaire, Was a famous writer, philosopher and historian, born in the beautiful city of Paris in the year 1694.
In his works, Voltaire places particular emphasis on the power of reason and always places science before religion, this way of thinking reveals him as one of the greatest representatives of a burgeoning intellectual movement called The Il Illustration. .
Thanks to thinkers like Voltaire, society changed dramatically in the 18th century, Acquire greater importance the search for wisdom and the development of science in general.
- We recommend that you read: “The 70 most famous phrases of Jean-Jacques Rousseau”
Voltaire’s best famous quotes and phrases
The works of this writer are still studied today and have great acceptance in the 21st century. Would you like to know the most interesting phrases of this well-known philosopher?
Below you will discover the 75 best quotes of Voltaire, Which will help you discover probably the best French thinker in history.
1. Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing the same.
Thinking for yourself is something you should always do, getting carried away by others can cause us to become more problematic.
2. Unable to make people more reasonable, I preferred to be happy away from them.
Many thinkers end their days away from society, the fatigue they feel makes them want to get away from the hustle and bustle.
3. It is forbidden to kill; therefore, all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and with the sound of trumpets.
The greatest mass murderers in history were protected by the opinions of many. Were the great emperors of history then assassins? It will depend on our point of view.
4. I am ashamed of the world and I cannot dream that this watch exists and does not have a watchmaker.
The world in the 18th century was a cruel place full of calamities, life must have been really hard.
5. Perfection is accomplished little by little, slowly; requires the hand of time.
To achieve perfection, we will have to take our time, because only practice will get us there.
6. Optimism is the folly of insisting that all is well when we are miserable.
It is certainly a rather negative way of understanding optimism. We must be optimistic, but always in moderation.
7. If it’s the best of all possible worlds, how are the others?
The universe may be infinite and an indeterminate number of worlds may exist in it. What will these worlds look like? This is something that we still ask ourselves today.
8. There are truths which are not for all people, nor for all times.
Accepting the truth can even be painful, some people will never be willing to face it.
9. To be successful in the world, it’s not enough to be stupid, you also have to be polite.
Success can reach even people who don’t really deserve it, the luck factor in life can lead anyone to it as long as we are in the right place at the right time.
10. The happiest of all lives is busy loneliness.
Keeping ourselves busy will help us be much happier in life.
11. With books, it’s like with men: very few play a big role.
This philosopher had serious difficulty finding a book that was really worth the effort.
12. Spirits differ even more than faces.
Each person has their own way of being and of thinking, our mind is totally unique in each of us.
13. God has given us the gift of life; now it’s up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
Society as a whole must try to ensure that all its people can live in dignity.
14. The comfort of the rich depends on a plentiful supply of the poor.
We must end class inequalities, because in the middle of the 21st century, poverty is still too prevalent.
15. The greatest comfort in life is to speak your mind.
Saying what we think can get us into some trouble, but it will also give us the opportunity to express what we really feel.
16. We are seldom proud when we are alone.
Loneliness can reveal our true face, if you want to know what a person looks like, look – when you think no one is looking at you.
17. Love is a fabric decorated with nature and embroidered by the imagination.
Love is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful things a human being has, love can transform a life of misery into a life of full happiness.
18. The secret of boring people is to tell everything.
Being too detailed in our conversations will lead to annoying our interlocutor. Being brief will usually cause an unwanted effect.
19. Those who believe that money does everything end up doing everything for money.
We don’t have to focus all of our efforts on finding wealth, money isn’t as important as many of us usually think.
20. Men are equal; and it is not birth but virtue that makes the difference.
All people are born equal and under the same conditions, but that will depend on us and our efforts wherever life takes us.
21. Heaven is where I am.
Our attitude will be what makes where we are, the best place in the world.
22. We cannot always force; but we can still talk in a pleasant way.
If we want to convince someone, we have to use our persuasion. Using the right tone and the right words will be essential to achieve this.
23. You must be very ignorant to answer all the questions that are put to you.
No one has the answer to everything, only a complete ignorant person can think that he knows everything.
24. I loudly proclaim freedom of thought and die who does not think like me.
We are all free to think what we want on any subject and also to have our particular point of view.
25. Our work protects us from three great evils: fatigue, vice and want.
The work of philosopher and writer had, we see, great advantages. Unfortunately, not all people have had the same luck in their jobs.
26. Four thousand volumes of metaphysics do not teach us what the soul is.
Some questions that Voltaire was already asking, still escape our knowledge today Will there really be a soul?
27. A great use of words is to hide our thoughts.
Words can hide our true thoughts, being concise will help us express them in a much more precise way.
28. All the reasoning of men is not worth the feeling of women.
At the time of this writer, men and women lived completely different lives. They are prohibited from certain activities.
29. Uncertainty is a delicate position, but certainty is absurd.
It is difficult to come to have absolute certainty, it can always correspond to the option that we are really wrong. Doubt is the first condition for being able to acquire knowledge.
30. I don’t agree with what you are saying, but I would fight for you to say it.
Freedom of expression must always prevail, without it society could never evolve into a prosperous future for all of its members.
31. He who does not have all the intelligence of his age has all his misfortune.
Intelligence is essential in order to be able to lead a successful life, as the problems we will face in the future will require its use constantly.
32. Behind every successful man hides a surprised woman.
Women have played a very important role in the development of society, usually among the bubbles. Without their collaboration, our current level of evolution would not have been possible.
33. We say nonsense and by repeating it we have come to believe it.
As Goebbels said, a lie repeated a thousand times can become a truth. Something that is often commented on regularly, we generally believe it must be true.
34. Those who can make you believe nonsense can make you commit atrocities.
We don’t have to get carried away by third party ideas that don’t really represent us, always think for yourself before you act.
35. Idiocy is an extraordinary disease, it is not the patient who suffers from it, but others.
Idiot does not let his guest see his own condition. The one who suffers the most from idiocy is usually the one who does not have it.
36. Self-esteem, like the reproductive mechanism of mankind, is necessary, it pleases us and we must hide it.
Self-esteem is essential to our own future. If you don’t love yourself, no one will ever love you.
37. No problem can withstand the onslaught of sustained thought.
Voltaire believed that with enough determination and time, we would be able to resolve any problems encountered. The human being is, without a doubt, capable of all that is proposed.
38. If you ever see a Swiss banker jump out of the window, jump in the back. There is definitely something to be gained.
Great advice that many of us probably ignored. As we can see, Voltaire had a great sense of humor.
39. My God, deliver me from my friends! I already take care of the enemies.
Surrounding ourselves with the right people will help us go much further in our life.
40. Civilization has not repressed barbarism; he perfected it and made it more cruel and barbaric.
The capacity of human beings to do evil seems frankly limitless. As society progresses, man seems to develop greater wickedness within himself.
41. The pleasure that government brings must be very great, for many aspire to it.
Many people aspire to power, even devoting their lives to this cause.
42. Ignorance categorically declares or denies; scientific doubt.
There will always be a factor that escapes us, any man of science knows that he will surely not have absolute knowledge of anything in life.
43. I die worshiping God, loving my friends, not hating my enemies, and hating superstition.
Religion has always been a defining factor in Western society, guiding the lives of all of its citizens since its inception.
44. For the wicked, everything serves as a pretext.
If you are looking for a pretext for something, you will always find it.
45. Nature has always been stronger than education.
We learn certain aspects of their life in a very natural way, and we do not need to be educated specifically about them.
46. If we don’t find anything very pleasant, at least we will find something new.
The search for knowledge will always have something new to bring us. Every day we can learn something new if we want to.
47. Tears are the silent language of pain.
Tears can mean a lot of things, but emotional pain will always be the one that causes them the most.
48. Use, not abuse … neither abstinence nor excess never make a man happy.
In its true sense, everything tastes so much better, not overdoing something will give us a chance to enjoy it for longer.
49. One of the superstitions of the human being is to believe that virginity is a virtue.
Virginity is a condition, not a virtue. We all go through it in our youth. As we mature, we will overcome it and just move on.
50. Contempt for ambition is one of the essential principles of happiness on earth.
If we can settle for little, we will certainly be much happier in the long run. Excessive ambition will only lead us down a path of continued unease.
51. He who reveals the secrets of others is considered a traitor; what reveals the secret itself goes through the fool.
Knowing how to keep our secrets and not talk about the lives of others will be essential conditions for our own well-being.
52. Happiness always awaits us somewhere, but on condition that we do not seek it.
True happiness resides within us, it’s up to us to allow ourselves to be happy.
53. When it comes to money, everyone is of the same religion.
Money is the cause of most of the problems that human beings suffer from, its scarcity has a direct impact on our quality of life.
54. Is there anyone wise enough to learn from the experience of others?
Others can guide us with their stories about their experiences, but it will be theirs that gives us a clear and concise opinion on something.
55. All men are born with a nose and five fingers, but no one is born with a knowledge of God.
Certain aspects of life are given to us by the society in which we find ourselves, if it did not pass them on to us, we would never know them.
56. He who is too small has great pride.
Character is not related to the size of our body, we can be small people and have a very strong temperament.
57. A collection of thoughts should be a pharmacy where all ailments are corrected.
The mind can be the key that allows us to solve all our problems, with our wisdom we will be successful much more than we were.
58. We seek happiness, but not knowing where, just as drunkards look at home, knowing that they have it.
Happiness resides in ourselves, in our emotions. We must learn to allow ourselves to be happy.
59. Today’s man was born either to live in the convulsions of agitation or in the lethargy of boredom.
Modern man doesn’t really know what he wants, and it should be the first thing he asks himself, what do you want or expect from life?
60. The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Perfection does not exist, nothing and no one is perfect. Perfection is truly a utopian idea which unfortunately does not occur in nature.
61. Change of pleasures, but do not change friends.
True friends are very hard to find, rate them when you find them.
62. Chance is an empty word, nothing can exist without a cause.
As seen in this quote, Voltaire thought that chance did not really exist, do you agree with him?
63. I know people: it changes overnight. He generously lavishes the same hatred as his love.
People’s opinions can be manipulated very easily; people’s ignorance is often represented by their relative ease in changing their minds.
64. It is not always up to us to be poor; but it is always up to us to respect our poverty.
Whether we are poor or not, respect should be the same for everyone. Our level of wealth does not make us less worthy people.
65. Examples correct much better than reprimands.
Leading by our own example will help others understand our way of thinking.
66. The opportunity to do evil is found a hundred times a day and to do good once a year.
We should all try to do good whenever possible, by contributing our grain of sand we can help this society improve over time.
67. Weakness on both sides is, as we know, the motto of all struggles.
Fighting is in most cases unnecessary, there are many more possibilities for dealing with a problem than mere violence.
68. The secret to not being bored is knowing when to stop.
If someone doesn’t want to hear from us, we have to let them go on with their own opinion, we all have the right to have an opinion and others should not like it
69. Only the one who knows how to limit his desires is immensely rich.
By knowing how to limit our desires, we can achieve more easily, because as they say, it is not richer what you have more, but what you need less.
70. It is difficult to free fools from the chains they worship.
Convincing some people can sometimes be a bit tricky, as if they ignore their own misery, they won’t want to change their current way of life.
71. Is politics anything other than the art of deliberately lying?
Politicians usually lie in their speeches because saying what people need to hear will mean a number of votes that they may need in the future.
72. Every man is guilty of all the good he has not done.
The acts of kindness that we do in life, they can improve the situation of a number of people. Doing the right thing will allow us to build a better future for all.
73. It is better to risk saving a guilty person than to condemn an innocent person.
We must not pass judgment lightly, to condemn an innocent person is perhaps the greatest cruelty.
74. It is not inequality that is the real problem, it is dependence.
Depending on the third parties that will make us miserable individuals, we must seek our own opportunities to prosper,
75. There is a big difference between talking about cheating and being silent in order to be impenetrable.
Communication between people is vital for the functioning of society, what we pass on to others will eventually have an impact on others or even on ourselves.