Muhammad Ali, known early in his career as Cassius Clay, was a famous American boxer considered one of the best in boxing history.
As a person, Ali fought during his lifetime for the rights of the African American community and for the acceptance of Islam in the United States. The personality of this boxer made him one of the most influential people of his generation. During his boxing career, Ali fought against other boxing greats such as Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman and Larry Holmes.
Excellent quotes from Muhammad Ali, an unforgettable boxer
His athletic career was one of the most successful in history, but what really made Muhammad Ali great was without a doubt his personality and his values. Want to know the best phrases of this quadrilateral legend?
Then you will discover the 80 best phrases of Muhammad Ali, An icon of the ring and of the social struggle that should never be forgotten.
1. Wisdom is knowing when you cannot be wise.
Knowing how to accept our own faults is the first step towards wisdom.
2. I’m so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and went to bed before the room was dark.
Ali’s technique and speed changed the boxing world forever.
3. When you are as tall as I am, it is difficult to be humble.
The personality of this boxer has always been a little eccentric, boxing psychology is very important.
4. I am young; I am beautiful; I am fast. I cannot be defeated.
To be successful in the boxing world, we need to have a lot of self-confidence.
5. We spend more time learning how to make a living than learning how to make a living.
Values and principles are things we don’t learn in school, what we do is not who we are.
6. It’s hard to be humble when you’re as good as me.
Humility is a quality that not everyone has, let alone if you are the heavyweight champion.
7. Rivers, lagoons, lakes and streams: they all have different names, but they all contain water. Like religions, they all contain truths.
As a Muslim, Ali embraced the religion of his ancestors, an act that led to many detractors at the time.
8. Throughout my life I have been tested. My will has been tested, my courage has been tested, my strength has been tested. Now my patience and stamina are tested.
Life always brings new challenges for us, coming out victorious will in many cases depend on our attitude.
9. Often it’s not the mountains that tire you, it’s the little pebble on your shoe.
Small inconveniences can end up causing much greater damage, we need to reduce the problems when they are small.
10. I buy them weapons, I buy them planes, but I do not go to war.
The hypocrisy of the United States with its politics has always hated this particular boxer.
11. Champions are not made in gyms, they are made of something intangible that they have a lot inside of them. It is a desire, a dream, a vision.
To be champions we will have to put all the meat on the grill, our will will lead us to victory.
12. My hardest fight was against my first wife.
Romantic relationships can be very torturous, Ali tells us in this controversial quote.
13. If you love God, you can love only some of his children.
All people are equal and we must enjoy the same rights.
14. It should be a tampon. It’s the only way they’re gonna lick me.
In this quote, Ali shows us his particular sense of humor, without a doubt this boxer had a very particular way of communicating with the media.
15. If you dreamed of winning me over, you had better wake up and apologize.
In this way, Ali communicated to his opponents, that even in his best dreams, they will not be able to defeat him.
16. Friendship is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.
Friendship is a relationship that can bring many positive aspects to our lives. Our friendships will always accompany us in the most difficult times.
17. I’ll show you how tall I am.
This is perhaps the most emblematic sentence of Muhammad Ali, with it he shows us his strong character and his great thirst for success.
18. A man who sees the world at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
We must evolve throughout our life, we must never get stuck. We can always learn something new.
19. Live each day as if it were your last because one day you will be right.
Making the most of the moment will help us live a much more fulfilling life. Now that’s the only thing we really have.
20. What you think is what you become.
Our thoughts shape us as individuals, we are what we think.
21. Age is what you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.
Age can be just a number, it’s never too late for anything. As long as we are alive, we can try again.
22. The fight is won or lost far from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gymnasium and on the road; long before dancing under those lights.
Preparation is the most important thing in a boxing match, we have to be physically and mentally prepared to be able to win.
23. I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I am free to be whatever I want to be.
As Ali tells us, we have to be what we want to be. We have to live life our way.
24. I hated every minute of training, but I said, Don’t give up. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.
When we want to achieve a great goal, we must know that we will have to make a great sacrifice to achieve it. Are you ready to do whatever it takes?
25. Question from a reporter: What are your favorite things? Muhammad Ali’s response: cars and mirrors.
What great athlete doesn’t like cars? A very sincere response from this sports legend.
26. I am the boxing astronaut. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I am in a world of my own.
The level Ali has reached with his boxing has not been seen until now, he has shown that technique always exceeds strength.
27. It is not arrogance if you can maintain it.
When we prove that we are what we say we are just sincere.
28. My principles are far more important than my money or my securities.
Our principles are part of who we are, we must never give up.
29. Think carefully about everything, be patient with everyone, and try to find the good in everyone.
Our attitude in life can take us very far, in this quote Ali gives us this wise advice.
30. My wealth lies in my knowledge of myself, love and spirituality.
Our thoughts are our most valuable assets because they are what make us as individuals.
31. There is nothing wrong with going down. Staying down is bad.
It is only when we surrender that we are truly defeated, that we must be resurrected.
32. I am a boxing sage, a boxing scientist. I am a master of the dance, a true artist of the ring.
Boxing requires great intelligence on the part of its athletes, they must know how to analyze the opponent and be able to anticipate their movements before they occur.
33. Hating people for their color is a mistake. And it doesn’t matter what color you hate. It’s just false.
Racism is something that we should not allow in society, the color of a person’s skin should never be a relevant factor. What really matters to every human being are their values and principles.
34. I try not to talk about all the charities and people I help because I think we can only be truly generous if we don’t expect anything in return.
Those who brag about being generous in the media are only doing paperwork for the gallery.
35. It’s just a job. The grass grows, the birds fly, the waves strike the sand. I hit people.
As an elite athlete, Ali had to be able to reconcile his family life and his professional life. boxing is as noble a sport as any other.
36. When you want to talk about who created me, talk to me. Who made me was ME.
The experiences we have had in life and how we deal with them reveal us as individuals.
37. I have never allowed anyone to convince me not to believe in me.
The opinions of others should never weigh more than our own. We must not be taken away by third parties.
38. It is the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things start to happen.
When we truly believe in something, that’s when we can make it happen. If we don’t believe in our possibilities, we will never achieve our goals.
39. Why are they asking me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from my house and drop bombs and throw bullets at dark skinned people when black people in Louisville are treated like dogs? and deprived of the simplest human rights? I will not go 10,000 miles from here and give my face to help assassinate and burn down another poor nation just to continue the domination of white slave owners.
During the Vietnam War, this boxer was called into the ranks, refusing to withdraw his title of world champion and his boxing license. Later, a judge will decide that this sentence was totally arbitrary and they gave him back what was rightfully his.
40. I am America. I’m the part you won’t recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, arrogant; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, mine; Get used to me.
Muhammad Ali was very proud of him and with this quote he proves it to us. He wasn’t going to allow them to disrespect him.
41. I have no fight with the Vietcong … No Vietcong has ever called me black
At the time, this boxer felt more at odds with his own country than with anyone else.
42. I am an ordinary man who worked hard to develop the talent they gave me. I believed in myself and I believe in the goodness of others.
Our efforts and dedication will allow us to achieve our goals in the future, we must persevere.
43. I could see it. I could almost feel it. When I proclaimed myself the best of all time, I believed in myself and I still believe in it.
Believing in ourselves is totally necessary to be successful in life, this boxer is a clear example.
44. I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and in peace.
Ali converted to Islam upon discovering that it was the religion of his ancestors. He returned to his roots physically and spiritually.
45. A man who has no imagination has no wings.
The imagination is a very powerful weapon, a necessary weapon to be able to discover our goals in life.
46. I am the most recognized and loved man who ever existed, for there were no satellites when Jesus and Moses were nearby, so the inhabitants of the villages did not know anything about it. them.
With the advent of new technologies, sport is transmitted throughout the world, making its protagonists men and women of world renown.
47. The critics only made me work harder.
We must use criticism as fuel for our ambition, we will show how wrong they are.
48. You don’t lose anything when you fight for a cause … In my opinion, losers are those who don’t have a cause that matters to them.
We all have something to fight for, and if not, why do it?
49. The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
To achieve our goals we will have to get down to work, it can be a long road and the sooner we start the better.
50. Silence is gold when you can’t think of a right answer.
We do not have to make statements that we may regret, in these cases it is better to remain silent.
51. When we dedicate all of our actions to a spiritual purpose, everything we do becomes a prayer.
Religion is a key factor in the lives of millions of people, this boxer lived with great spirituality his conversion to Islam.
52. Superman doesn’t need a seat belt.
This is because superheroes don’t need to take the same precautions as other humans. There he was not afraid of anything in life.
53. I fought a crocodile, I fought a whale, I handcuffed lightning, I locked myself in prison in thunder, I killed a rock, I injured a stone, I hospitalized a brick, I’m so sick I’m sick.
The media sometimes raged with Muhammad Ali, and as you can see, the anger he felt towards them was palpable in the atmosphere.
54. The greatest victory in life is to rise once again above the material things that we hold dear.
Material goods are not really necessary, the best things we can have are intangible goods like love or freedom.
55. At home I’m a good guy – but I don’t want the world to know that. Humble people, I discovered, don’t go very far.
Indeed, in his private life, Ali was a completely normal person, a friend of his friends and very familiar.
56. Wars of nations fight to change the cards. But poverty wars are waged to map change.
Wars are always unjust, and war can be fought on many different battlefields. Economic wars are also being fought today.
57. Others may know pleasure, but pleasure is not happiness. It doesn’t matter more than a shadow following a man.
Pleasure and happiness certainly have nothing to do with it, pleasure can only last a second and happiness a lifetime.
58. What motivates me are the goals.
Our goals in life largely determine our daily actions. We must focus on them and pursue them relentlessly.
59. Jokes? There are no jokes. The truth is the funniest joke of all.
Humor is a vital aspect in everyone’s life, with it we can make our life much more bearable.
60. It’s the lack of faith that scares people in the face of change, and I believed in myself.
Having faith in ourselves is the first step towards self-improvement, we must believe in ourselves and our possibilities.
61. If they can make penicillin out of flower bread, surely they can do something with you.
They will always be able to do something with Ali’s leftovers of a boxer, he just thought of making them fall apart.
62. Sonny Liston is nothing. This man needs boxing lessons. And since he’s going to beat me, he needs lessons to fall!
The fight between Muhammad Ali and Sonny Liston is one of the most legendary in boxing history. The birth of a whole legend.
63. If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough.
We must not put limits on life, we are able to make everything we do.
64. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will get nothing in life.
To be successful, we will have to risk repeatedly, some personal success is not achieved if we don’t give everything for them.
65. “Impossible” is just a big word spoken by little men that makes it easier for them to live in the world they have been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. Impossible is not a statement. It’s a challenge. The impossible is the potential. The impossible is temporary. Nothing is impossible.
Nothing is impossible, only we ourselves set our limits in life.
66. People can’t stand the mouth, but they always listen to them.
Anytime you talk too much, there will be someone ready to see you step in the door.
67. Everyone is negotiable.
There he was ready to box in any country in the world.
68. I have sought advice and cooperation from everyone around me, but never their permission.
Knowing how to receive advice is good practice, but we will always be the ones making the final decision.
69. Only a man who knows what it’s like to be defeated can get to the bottom of his soul and get the extra ounce of power needed to win when the game seems lost.
If we are able to rise again and again, in the end we can achieve the victory,
70. I’m the best, I said it before I even knew it.
There he always showed a positive attitude throughout his boxing career.
71. I float like a butterfly, my beak like a bee. His hands cannot grasp what his eyes cannot see. Now you see me, not now.
Who does not know this mythical sentence of the boxer? Technique is the key to boxing.
72. I am doubly awesome, not only do I knock them out but I also choose the “round”.
As can be seen, this famous athlete came to boast about his own rivals. They were nothing to the great Muhammad Ali.
73. I don’t count my abs; I only start counting when it starts to hurt because those are the only ones that matter.
Preparing for each fight is a key aspect of boxing, training often determines who will be the winner of a fight.
74. We cannot be courageous without fear.
Fear is a very human emotion, we have to use it to work more, if at all.
75. “Cassius Clay”, so-called slave. I didn’t choose it, I didn’t want it. I am Muhammad Ali, a free man.
He wanted to break with everything that had been imposed on him in life, he would give himself a name and decide his own future.
76. A person knowing the purpose of his life is more powerful than ten thousand people who work without this knowledge.
When we have a goal, we can put all our efforts to achieve it. We need to know what we want in life.
77. Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
We have to be kind to others and try to improve society with our daily actions.
78. Don’t count the days, make the days count.
Living fully each day will allow us to be much happier. As we read in this quote, we need to make it count every day.
79. To be a great champion, you must believe that you are the best; if you’re not, pretend you are.
If we do not believe in ourselves we will not be successful, it is important that our rival does not know that we do not believe in our possibilities.
80. If my mind can conceive and my heart can believe it, then I can.
If we are completely determined, nothing can stop us in our ascent to success.