Oscar Wilde was born in Ireland in 1854 and died in France in 1900, an ingenious poet, writer, playwright and ingenious who emerged at an early age. Interestingly, the British author was home educated until the age of 9, receiving a home education but cultivated from his parents.
Among his qualities, Oscar Wilde was interested in the aesthetic movement, “art for the sake of art” and poetry. In addition, surely influenced by the philanthropic character of his father, he positioned himself politically by an anarchist socialism which cost him more than dissatisfaction with the authorities.
- “The 30 best sentences of Fernando Pessoa, the Portuguese poet”
- “William Shakespeare’s 73 Most Famous Quotes”
- “The 23 best quotes from Herbert Marcuse”
Oscar Wilde’s most famous quotes
He was an outgoing, unique and revolutionary character who, at times, was immersed in scandal to break with social norms of virility. He was accused of being gay, a crime at the time.
Here we leave you some of Oscar Wilde’s most notable quotes.
1. Experience has no ethical value, it is simply the name we give to our mistakes
In this way he described the author with regard to the experience.
2. A man can be happy with any woman as long as he doesn’t like her.
The complexity of love is described, like Wilde, in this statement.
3. We go years without living at all, and suddenly our whole life is concentrated in one instant.
Sometimes happiness is measured in an instant.
4. Women were made to be loved and not to be understood
Oscar Wilde thus saw the relationship between a man and a woman.
5. I have long conversations with myself and I am so intelligent that sometimes I do not understand a word of what I am saying
The author was so ingenious and extravagant.
6. There is nothing like the love of a married woman. This is something no husband has a clue about
A sentence to reflect on marriage.
7. If you want to know what a woman is really saying, Mirela, don’t listen to her
The female figure was a hot topic for Oscar Wilde. He felt passion.
8. The least common thing in this world is to live. Most people exist
Sometimes we go so unnoticed that we seem to have no soul.
9. The only advantage of playing with fire is that you learn not to burn.
Human beings only learn by making mistakes.
10. Loving yourself is the start of a lifelong adventure.
To love others, we must love ourselves first.
11. I’m not going to stop talking to him so that he doesn’t listen to me. I like to listen to myself
Ingenious and exceptional has been shown in all situations.
12. We should never get married if we intend to stay in love.
This is how Wilde reflected on marriage.
13. God created a separate world for each person, and in this world we must try to live together
Each person is a world and we all need to empathize with one another.
14. Questions are never intrusive, answers yes
A sentence for deep reflection.
15. A cynical man is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing
Cynicism is a recurring theme among many Western writers.
16. If you want to exasperate your enemy, forgive
A special way to make peace with an unhappy person.
17. Children love their parents. When they grow up they judge them
Reason or error?
18. The best way to get rid of a temptation is to fall into it.
It is not necessary to suppress our instincts. If we want something, we eat it.
19. The only way for a man to behave with a woman is to make love to her.
It seems that Oscar Wilde saw in the woman only a sexual object, unfortunately.
20. Work is the refuge of those who have nothing to do
This is how the British author criticized the system of work in which he lived.
21. The worst thing in this world is not to be in other people’s mouths, but not to be in anyone’s mouths
The criticism of being ignored is better.
22. Man believes in the impossible, not the improbable
It is part of the ambition which drives man towards progress and development.
23. We judge others because we don’t dare with ourselves
We need to learn to be more self-critical and not pay so much attention to others.
24. Advising the economy on the poor is like advising a hungry person to eat less.
Oscar Wilde was a staunch supporter of socialism and the working class.
25. Society never forgives the dreamer. Yes to the criminal
Social pressure is strong when we want to stand out with something different.
26. The best thing you can do to a child is to be happy.
Above education and giving everything, what a child needs is to feel good.
27. Ambition is the refuge of failure
Because some ambitions are stupid.
28. Being healthy is not about getting up early or playing sports
Oscar Wilde still critical of established stereotypes.
29. Men are analyzed, women are loved
Once again, he affirms the constant love that women need.
30. Success is taken by the strong and failure is taken by the weak
History is always written by the victors.
31. I would do anything to get young again, except play sports
He didn’t like exercise or discipline at all.
32. The only thing that comforts men for the stupid things they do is pride in doing them.
Pride is a very dangerous weapon, which often leads us to error.
33. The less we talk about the wounds of life, the better
Positivism above all.
34. Two rules for writing: having something to say and saying it
A rule that every good writer should follow.
35. Laughter is not a bad start to friendship
Oscar Wilde’s sense of humor was part of his personality and his extravagance.
36. Ugly women are jealous of their husbands
Curious way to link physical behavior to marital behavior.
37. Believing is very monotonous, doubt and curiosity are fascinating
Interesting contribution to explore new experiences.
39. Talking about it is scary. That they don’t speak, it’s worse
To be ignored is the worst of all evils.
40. A woman able to say her age is able to say everything
This is how the playwright measured the sincerity of the female sex.
41. When a man marries a second time, it is because he loved the first time
This sentence will give a lot to think about for those who sign up for the second time.
42. Nothing valuable can be taught
It invites us to think deeply.
43. Beauty does not need explanation, it is superior to genius
Beauty is not something that requires interpretation. Observation only.
44. People are just boring or charming. Neither good nor bad
The British author hated labels, especially those with a negative charge.
45. Young people think money is everything and when they grow up they check it out
It is the law of life. It happens to all of us as we age.
46. Suffering from your own faults is life’s nightmare
We forgive errors and external damage, but not ours.
47. Singles should pay more taxes. It’s not fair that they are richer than the rest
A fun way to think about celibacy.
48. As a bad person I am a complete disaster
Some have said that Oscar Wilde never did anything wrong or hurt anyone.
49. I choose my friends by their appearance, my knowledge by their character and my enemies by their reason.
It is very important to know why we surround ourselves with those around us.
50. We all live in sewers, but some look at the stars
It is about knowing how to come to life with philosophy.
51. When I think about my faults, I immediately fall asleep
One should never think of evil, but promote the good virtues.
52. Music is the closest you can get to tears and memories
Oscar Wilde was in love with the art of music.
53. Temptation is the one thing I can’t contain
Again, the author invokes non-restraint or emotional repression.
54. In marriage, the wife has all the cards but loses the game
This statement must be understood from the time Oscar Wilde was to live.
55. The more conservative the ideas, the more the ideas
The more radical you are, the more changes can be made.
56. Modern journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community
He was a great critic of journalism and its contribution to society.
57. Married men are terribly boring when they are good
Having said that, getting married is a mistake for lasting love.
58. In art as in love, it is tenderness that gives strength
A good metaphor for understanding the passion for art.
59. There is no man rich enough to buy his past
The past can be a very heavy emotional burden.
60. Being natural is the hardest part of the pose
We live conditioned and dogmatized by too many standards.