Stanley Martin Lieber, better known as “Stan Lee”, Was a famous American comic book producer and author, born on Manhattan Island in the year 1922.
Thanks to the many comics he has produced under the Marvel label, Lee has become one of the most famous comic book artists in history. Who hasn’t read an X-Men, Spiderman, Ironman or Captain America comic book? Well, all of this and more were designed by the privileged mind of this great graphic novel celebrity.
Excellent quotes and thoughts from Stan Lee
Sadly, on November 12, 2018, Lee passed away from a heart attack leaving a whole legion of eager readers orphaned. Then we have selected the 80 best quotes from Stan Lee, Some sentences with which we can discover much more about his personality and his way of thinking.
1. Great power comes with great responsibility.
One of the most famous phrases of this great designer, known the world over for his appearance in the graphic novel Spiderman.
2. Having ideas is the simplest thing in the world. Everyone has ideas. But you have to take that idea and turn it into something that people will respond to. This is the really difficult thing.
Even the best ideas need to be worked on and developed. To reach its full potential, we will inevitably have to take our time.
3. For me, writing is fun. It doesn’t matter what you write, as long as you can tell a story.
Writing is a hobby that we can all enjoy if we want to, so we can clarify our ideas and discover thoughts we didn’t know we had.
4. Every day there is a new development. There is no limit to what happens.
During his professional career, Lee never stopped working, he always created projects for all his fans.
5. They all learn differently and they all come at some point from a different direction.
Life can take us on very different paths, but in the end we will all realize our own destiny.
6. I’m a frustrated actor, so I’ll try to defeat Alfred Hitchcock in his cameo act. I’ll beat his record.
In all of the films produced by Marvel, Lee was always present, making little cameos that as we can see made him very happy.
7. When you work with people you love and admire for being so good at what they do, it doesn’t look like a job. It is as if you are playing.
If the initiation to the cinema was for him a dream come true, something which he knew how to profit until the end of his days.
8. If Achilles didn’t have his heel, you probably wouldn’t know him today.
Weaknesses can also be the most appealing aspects of any superhero, as this weakness shows viewers that, at the end of the day, said superhero is still human.
9. I am very lucky because everything I do is exciting for me. It’s always new.
Living a busy life is something we all pursue, and Stan Lee was certainly something he accomplished in abundance.
10. I’m just someone who tries to write things that entertain people. And if I can do it in a way that makes them prefer to imitate the nice over the bad, I feel happy.
In all of the novels created by Lee, human values have always been very relevant. All of her main characters still have extremely sweet personalities.
11. I never thought that Spiderman would become the global icon that he is today. I just hoped his comics would sell well and keep me working.
As a writer and illustrator he wasn’t really looking for great personal success, he was just looking to do what he loved the most and if possible get paid for it.
12. The only advice we can give you is that if you want to become a writer, keep writing. And read a lot. Read as much as you can.
Reading can help us develop our own intellect, a key and essential aspect that every writer must necessarily have highly developed.
13. I don’t analyze things too closely. Meet that the more you analyze, the further you move away from spontaneity.
Thinking too much about a problem should not lead us to the solution, perhaps it is better to leave it as it is.
14. We all want to have superpowers because we all wish we could do more than we can.
Superpowers can be the solution to the frustrations many people have, being able to follow the adventures of those with superpowers can be an escape route that lets us forget our unsatisfying reality.
15. There is only one omnipotent and his greatest weapon is love.
Love is the most important force that can move human beings, love can certainly improve the life of everyone.
16. Whenever you think you have a good name, you find that someone else already has it. Creating stories isn’t that hard, but creating a good headline is the hardest part.
Today, superhero stories can be numbered in the thousands which makes it much more difficult to innovate in this industry.
17. The fans are wonderful. And they make it harder for you, because fans can turn on you in a second if you’re wrong or disappointed. Thanks to the fans, the product you end up creating is probably better than it would have been if they hadn’t been here, because you’re afraid of disappointing them.
As we see in this quote, Lee felt indebted to his fans, he always wanted to give them the best of himself. The fans were an indispensable part of his job for him.
18. Another definition of a hero is someone who cares about the welfare of others and will do their best to help them, even if there is no possibility of reward. This person who helps others just because he should or should be done, and because he is the right one, is certainly a true superhero.
A true hero will always act according to his own values, when we act for money or out of obligation, we can never be called heroes.
19. I used to feel embarrassed because when I was a comic book writer other people were building bridges or pursuing medical careers. But then I realized that entertainment is one of the most important things in life. Without it, we would sink. Now, I feel like if you are able to entertain people, it is because you are doing something right.
Entertainment is a very important thing in everyone’s life, thanks to it we can momentarily forget about our problems and be a little happier.
20. My theory on why people love superheroes is that when we were kids we all loved to read fairy tales. Fairy tales have to do with things larger than life … so you get a little older and stop reading them, but you never get over your love for them.
A very interesting theory about superheroes, it is true that the stories of heroes and adventures accompany us from an early age, creating in us a great fascination for all.
21. In my opinion, whether it’s a superhero movie, romance or comedy or whatever, the most important thing is that you have to care about the characters. You have to understand the characters and you have to be interested. If the characters are interesting, you are halfway to success.
The characters in a novel are the ones that engage the reader the most, thanks to them we have managed to fully immerse ourselves in the story and we can appreciate it as a whole.
22. I was very lucky. All I wanted was to pay the rent. Then these characters took off and suddenly there were Hulk coffee mugs, Iron Man lunch boxes and sweaters. Avengers fleece throughout. Money is good, but what I really like is working.
Money was not Stan Lee’s goal, he just needed enough to be able to live. He was certainly a very humble man until the last of his days.
23. Comics themselves are increasingly literate. And there are people who are screenwriters, TV writers, and novelists who write for comics, for some reason they like to do it and some of the artwork in the comics, I mean, rival anything you see. Hanging on the walls of museums, they are illustrations rather than drawings and everyone they discover that and they turn their backs to it.
Comics have a lot more work behind them than many of us usually realize, great cartoonists and writers are working together to make it a reality.
24. If Shakespeare and Michelangelo were alive today, and if they decided to make a comic, Shakespeare could write the screenplay and Michelangelo could draw it. Does anyone doubt that this is not a way of making art?
To belittle the work of comic book authors and screenwriters is often a very common thing, ignorance of the work behind them often leads people to think this way.
25. I don’t think superpowers automatically mean that there won’t be personality issues, family issues, or even money. I just tried to write characters who are human beings who also have superpowers.
Even if we had a superpower, we would still be human, the rest of our lives would remain the same, and we would certainly make the same mistakes.
26. It turns out that they now want to make a movie of my life and I wonder, what are they going to write in the script? I have never been arrested, I have not taken drugs and I have been with the same woman for 54 years … Where is the interest?
As we can see, Lee’s life has always been very calm, thanks to which he was able to devote himself body and soul to his greatest passion: comics.
27. I never thought about what business proposals to accept or reject, almost everything they offered seemed funny.
As an entrepreneur, he has always been daring and daring, he wanted to achieve all these great proposals that he had on the table.
28. I am happier when I work. If I don’t work, I feel like I’m wasting my time.
Work can help us lead more orderly and happier lives. Thanks to him, our life will certainly be much more complete.
29. Life is never complete without its challenges.
We all go through tough challenges throughout our lives, the way we solve them will be what sets us apart from the rest.
30. The whole underlying premise of the X-Men was to try to make an anti-fanaticism story to show that there is something good about every person.
As this great screenwriter thought, we all have a good part in us, but it will depend on our desires whether we want to develop it or not.
31. You have to inject a bit of philosophy or something for the reader to think about when you read the stories.
The stories of this famous writer had a lot more behind them than one might see at first glance.
32. If you create a powerful character without any vulnerabilities, I don’t think it’s that interesting for the reader.
The faults are as important as the virtues and can also be more interesting.
33. I always imagine that I am not unique, and I would like something that I like, to also like many other people who have the same tastes as me.
Stan Lee’s tastes and values were very similar to those of his readers, so it was possible for him to tell his works to a large number of fans.
34. We all need an idol, and sometimes we have to look for it in fiction.
The role models to follow are often neither in our area nor in our neighborhood, when this happens, literary works can give us those references that we have missed so much.
35. It’s fun to do something that has never been done before.
Throughout his career, he always wanted to innovate and have fun. Life can be wonderful if we choose to take advantage of all it has to offer.
36. I have no inspiration. I just have ideas. Ideas and deadlines.
Ideas simply arise in the mind of this great writer and after working on them for a long time, they are shown to the public in all their magnificence.
37. I don’t really see the need to retire while having fun.
Retirement isn’t necessary if we already do what we want, for Stan Lee it wasn’t just his job, it was his way of having fun as well.
38. If you are interested in what you are doing, this keeps you going!
When we devote ourselves to what we are most passionate about, we will never want to give up on that activity. We don’t have to stop doing what fills us the most spiritually.
39. You know, my motto is Excelsior. It is an old word which means to come and go for greater glory.
A word that defines this great writer very well, an extremely imaginative, daring and extravagant man.
40. No one has a perfect life. Everyone wants something they don’t have but can’t find a way to get it.
In this sentence we can find out what is certainly a great truth. No one lives a completely perfect life, there will always be something we want to change.
41. All I thought about when I wrote my stories was, “I hope these comics are sold so I can keep my job and continue paying rent.” Never in a million years could I have imagined that it would become what it has evolved into today. May.
The success of this great designer was not expected at all, he just wanted to be able to lead a simple life and fulfill his obligations.
42. Comics to me are fairy tales for adults.
Comics give us the opportunity to be able to be kids again, to be able to step into a fantasy world that can be really interesting.
43. Comics are stories; they’re like novels or something. The first thing to do is therefore to become a good narrator.
To be a good screenwriter, being a good storyteller is simply essential. Every comic should have behind it a great story worth telling.
44. It’s fun to stay in the game.
On this date, Stan Lee told us of his desire to always stay in the arena. He would never give up on all of his beloved fans.
45. I don’t get up in the morning to say, wow, I have a great idea for a story. But I feel and I imagine well, let’s see.
Work has always been a key factor for this great writer, inspiration must lead us to work in order to be able to materialize.
46. The comics go with the flow: if people see the movie and are interested in the character and want to see more of it, they start buying the comics. Then a good movie helps sell comics and comics help the movie and one hand washes the other. So, I don’t think there’s any reason to think the comics will go away.
Movies can be considered great marketing tools, they were certainly responsible for bringing superheroes into thousands of homes.
47. The reading is very good. And you can quote me!
Reading is definitely a wonderful activity and more so that we can also read the great Stan Lee.
48. Some will say, “Why read a comic? Drown your imagination. If you read a novel, you imagine what people are like. If you read a comic, it shows you.” The only answer I can give is, “You can read a Shakespeare play, but does that mean you wouldn’t like to see it on stage?”
Comics are just a literary genre different, no less precious. Comics can have a long and arduous job behind them.
49. When I was little I loved to read Sherlock Holmes. Now you don’t think of him as a superhero, but he was a lot smarter than anyone.
Holmes was a true superhero to Lee and he certainly was to a lot of other people. Maybe Conan Doyle would be very happy with this description of his character.
50. Just because you have superpowers doesn’t make your love life perfect. I don’t think superpowers automatically mean that there won’t be personality issues, family issues, or even money issues. I just tried to write characters who are human beings who also have superpowers.
Superpowers shouldn’t make us perfect beings, even though we have superpowers, we can be just as unhappy.
51. If there are people out there who like the job you’ve done that’s why they like it and want your autograph and take a picture, it’s really rewarding. You have to be grateful.
Feeling loved is a very satisfying thing for everyone and Stan Lee felt truly loved by all of his fans.
52. There is never a time when I am not working. I’m not taking a vacation.
When we are working on doing what we love the most, vacations aren’t necessary for us. Our work will not be considered as such if it also turns out to be our great hobby.
53. The more you read, the better off you will be as a narrator.
Reading can be a great activity in helping us improve in many areas of our lives, both personally and professionally.
54. The only time I’m going to adjust is when I have a cameo in the picture. I go on set and do my little cameo and meet everyone. It’s a great way to spend the day. And then I go back to my own world.
Lee really enjoyed making his cameos, thanks to them he managed to feel more connected to all the movies in the famous Marvel Universe.
55. Most people say I can’t wait to retire so I can golf, sail or whatever they do. Well if I was playing golf I wish I could end up dreaming of a new TV show.
You don’t have to wait until retirement to be able to do what you want the most, all stages of life can be great for trying to be a little happier.
56. I am very proud to be a hack. That’s why I lived so long, I think.
This famous writer has lived a long and full life, a life with which he certainly manages to be truly happy.
57. These stories of people with unusual powers and unusual appearances, who do unusual things, are always fascinated by them.
People tend to look for the unusual in every story we read, that way we can feel like we are escaping the boring and depressing real world.
58. If I had a superpower, I wouldn’t say, oh, I have to get myself a costume and put on a mask. I would say, look, I can do something better than the rest. How can I turn it into dollars?
As can be seen from this quote, Lee was quite a capitalist, money was of remarkable importance in his daily life.
59. I don’t know where the hell I will be at 5 years old. Maybe he’s making movies, maybe he’s selling apples in a corner. I don’t know, but I am having a lot of fun.
Nobody knows what the future holds, which is why it is very important to know how to take advantage of the present.
60. I thought it would be great to make superheroes who have the same kind of life issues that any reader, that anyone could have.
Stan Lee’s superheroes are after all normal people, people with their own issues like all of us in their day-to-day lives.
61. Negative information is that which, immediately after acquisition, causes the recipient to know less than before.
Negative news around the world, the so-called “Fake News” for example, is a good example.
62. I thought it would be fun to take the kind of character that nobody would want, that none of our readers would like, and push him down your throat and make him like.
This cartoonist has always made the reader fall in love with his characters, creating such a thrilling story behind him that it made us want to read all of his adventures.
63. There is something good about keeping a comic book!
Comics can only be successful with their presence, brightening the day for all their readers.
64. We live in a fast-paced world. We’ve become a very visual society, so I think it’s very natural for people to be captivated by the illustrations in a story.
The power of visual art is certainly very powerful, thanks to it, we can understand a certain scene in a second.
65. If you want to be an artist, bring a sketchbook with you and draw whatever you see. Get it so you can draw anything and see how it’s meant to be. It’s a lot of work, but if you really have it on the inside, it’s not like work. It becomes fun.
It will take time to be able to perfect our drawing style, but if we try hard, in the end we will develop a good technique.
66. The world has always been like a comic book world to me!
As we can see, comics have always been a completely fundamental aspect of the life of this great writer.
67. I’m kind of a pressure writer. If someone says, “Stan, write something” and I have to have it tomorrow morning, I’m going to sit down and write it down. It always seems to come to me. But it’s better to do a hasty job because if it’s not something that needs to be done quickly, I won’t work on it until it becomes an emergency and then I will.
Like many other writers, he also needed some pressure to be able to focus on his craft. A very curious aspect in the world of writing, which happens more often than we usually think.
68. Singing a song, playing sports, anything that entertains, that keeps people away from their own problems is good.
The world of entertainment can help us overcome our problems in our day to day life. Without a doubt, entertainment is much more important than society realizes.
69. Once you get the script, expect to be able to find the director you want. Then wait until you can get the cast you want. Again you can go fast or there can be a million reefs. There is simply no way to know.
Getting the movie we dream of, it doesn’t happen overnight, can take us a long time to get all the right parts for it.
70. Luck is one of the most important things in the world and it really has a part to play in everything, and in marriage I have been lucky to be married to the same girl all these years.
The luck factor can be decisive in the life of anyone. As Lee tells us in this quote, luck always smiled on him in the realm of love.
71. I enjoyed reading Batman, Superman, and all the superheroes, but I never wished I had created them. I must leave work to others!
As a comic book creator, he has always known how to value the effort that DC comics has made, behind all his great works.
72. Every day there is a new development. There is no limit to what happens.
As long as he had time he would start whatever projects he could cover, the sky was the limit of the great Marvel Universe.
73. The power of prayer remains the greatest ever known in this endless eternal universe.
Prayer can help us solve many possible problems in our lives or at least that’s what this famous writer thought.
74. When you combine great comic book stories with action and thrill visual of films, there is nothing better!
Superhero movies are undoubtedly the favorites of thousands of viewers, young and old alike, enjoy this fun cinematic genre immensely.
75. I never really considered myself to be a great success.
In his youth, Lee did not think about achieving the great success he finally achieved, you certainly never know what life will bring him.
76. I think superheroes are larger than life and they are very colorful.
Superheroes are a completely timeless genre, no one knows how many readers will be able to captivate their adventures over the years.
77. I see myself in everything I write. All the good guys are me.
As a writer, he always wanted to infuse the best qualities of himself, into all the superheroes he ultimately created.
78. I just work with ideas in my head and with drawings made by artists. And to suddenly see these things come to life in the movies, it’s just wonderful.
The fact that his comics were brought to the big screen was a very exciting leap for this great cartoonist. An experience that he lived fully until the last of his days.
79. I think the way you become a good storyteller is to read a lot of stories and evaluate them in your own mind.
Reading will help us develop our most critical side, and with it, we will be able to write better stories in the future.
80. No matter what I write, it’s about putting the words in a certain order so that the reader is interested in what I write.
The way Lee expressed himself in his works made them much more accessible to a large number of readers. We will all miss the great figure that this master of storytelling has become.