Today we bring you one selection of phrases by Walt Whitman (1819-1892).
This American poet, essayist, journalist and humanist was a great symbol of philosophical realism. He is considered one of the most influential authors in contemporary literature.
Absolutely must-have quotes from Walt Whitman
We hope these quotes from Walt Whitman will make you think as much as we do. Without further ado, we got started.
1. I swear there are more beautiful divine things than words can say.
I swear, there are more beautiful divine things than words can say.
2. We were together. I forgot the rest.
We were together. I forgot the rest.
3. I exist as I am. That’s enough.
I exist as I am. That’s enough.
4. Always keep your face facing the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.
Always keep your face in the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.
5. If you want to know where your heart is, watch where your mind goes when it wanders.
If you want to know where your heart is, watch where your mind goes when you walk.
6. Are you coming to travel with me? Do we hold onto each other as we live?
Do you want to come and travel with me? Are we going to stay together for the time that we live?
7. Let your soul stay fresh and composed before a million universes.
Let your soul be fresh and composed before a million universes.
8. When I give, I give to myself.
When I give, I give to myself.
9. All that satisfies the soul is the truth.
What satisfies the soul is the truth.
10. Peace is always beautiful.
Peace is always beautiful.
11. Now, traveler, navigate to seek and find.
Now, traveler, navigate to another, to seek and find.
12. Resist a lot, obey little.
He resists a lot, obeys little.
13. I believe that a blade of grass is nothing less than the journey of the stars.
I think a blade of grass is nothing less than a journey – the work of the stars.
14. The secret to all of this is to write … without waiting for a convenient time or place.
The secret to it all is to write … without having to wait for a moment of form or place.
15. First things first.
To get started, go for it.
16. If you did, don’t brag
A fun reflection on why to be proud.
17. Freedom: walk freely and have no superior
A curious definition of the concept of freedom.
18. I accept reality and dare not question it
Philosophical phrase about what freedom is.
19. To have great poets, there must be a great audience
We often forget the social context in which artists appear.
20. He produces great men, the rest follow
A recipe for building better societies.
21. Do anything, but let it bring joy
What matters is that what we do produces happiness.
22. To men and women I see God
Whitman saw traces of divinity in mankind.
23. The real war will never appear in the books
Great battles are underground.
24. The future is no more uncertain than the present.
The gift is full of surprises.
25. If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred
A phrase that is explained in relation to other thoughts of Whitman on the divine.
26. The dirtiest book of all is the purged book
A reflection on the rupturist books.
27. I think there are also a lot of things that we do not see
A sentence about the metaphysician.
28. I’m not confined between hat and boots
Another reflection on matter and how we are just our body.
29. Simplicity is the glory of expression
Interesting aphorism on the simple.
30. I party and sing myself
A quote from Walt Whitman full of vitality.
Hope you enjoyed these quotes from Walt Whitman! Thank you for visiting and continuing to enjoy the best literature.