William James (1842-1910) was an important philosopher and psychologist who, along with William James Charles Sanders Peirce, Founded the philosophical school of pragmatism, which maintains that the meaning of an idea should be sought in its practical effects, that the function of thought is to guide action, and that truth should be tested by practical consequences of belief.
Famous quotes and phrases from psychologist William James
This author has spoken countless quotes with great meaning and wisdom. Below are some of his best thoughts.
- “75 sentences of Erich Fromm to understand his thought”
- “The 101 best phrases and psychoanalysis of Sigmund Freud”
- “80 phrases from Carl Jung to rethink your existence”
1. Our worldview is shaped by what we set out to hear
We interpret the world according to our knowledge and beliefs.
2. We’re willing to be wild for whatever reason. The difference between a good man and a bad man is the choice of the cause
People can choose between being good or bad, depending on what is socially accepted or not.
3. An idea, to be suggestive, must reach the individual in the form of revelation.
The ideas that we value the most are the ones that give us something.
4. Believe that it is worth living life and this belief will help create the fact.
The attitude we have towards life makes us act in a certain way.
5. It is our attitude at the start of something difficult, more than anything else, that will affect success.
Like the previous quote, a positive attitude will help us behave in a positive way.
6. Is it worth living your life? It all depends on the shine
It is up to us to live life fully or to live anchored in the past.
7. It seems that action is followed by emotion, but in reality action and feeling go hand in hand; and by regulating the action, which is under the control of the will, we can directly regulate the emotion
William James has always been interested in providing knowledge about why and how we experience human emotions.
8. Studying the abnormal is the best way to understand the normal
A play on words that hides a meaningful idea.
9. The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook
Sometimes we have to put aside a few things to go our own way.
10. Age is a high price to pay for maturity
Over the years, we mature. It doesn’t mean you have to feel taller.
11. Nothing is as tiring as leaving a task unfinished forever.
A date that speaks of procrastination.
- You can learn more about this phenomenon in our article: “Procrastination or” I’m going to do it tomorrow “syndrome: what is it and how to avoid it”
12. Action cannot bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action
Happiness largely depends on what we want and strive to achieve.
13. Habit is the enormous flywheel that drives society, its most valuable preservative.
William James has devoted part of his life to learning more about people’s habits.
14. Belief creates the present fact
What we think determines our action and the path we take.
15. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can change his life by changing his attitudes.
The attitude we have has a big impact on the results we get.
16. To change lives: start immediately. do it ostensibly
Action is essential to transform our everyday life. Without action, there is no change.
17. It is always wrong, anywhere and for anyone to believe something without sufficient evidence
You cannot believe in something without seeing that it really is.
18. There is only one cause of human failure. And it is the lack of faith of man in himself
When a person does not believe in their possibilities, they are doomed to failure.
19. Many people think they reflect when they reorganize their prejudices.
Bias determine how we interpret what is around us.
20. Anything you can hold firmly in your imagination can be yours.
A date that refers to the desires we have as people.
21. The greatest thing in all education is to make our nervous system our ally instead of our enemy.
A sentence by William James that invites deep reflection.
22. Common sense and a sense of humor are the same although moving at different speeds. Common sense is like a sense of humor but dance
A reflection that has a certain touch of irony.
23. If you can change your mind, you can change your life
To change, we must first transform the way we think.
24. Start to be what you will be from now on
To transform your life, you must first change your mind.
25. The community stagnates without the impetus of the individual. The impulse dies without the sympathy of the community
People are social beings and therefore better united.
26. Accepting what has happened is the first step in overcoming the consequences of any misfortune
Acceptance is the key to moving forward.
27. If an organism fails to achieve its potential, it becomes ill
Personal development and self-realization of people are essential to enjoy greater satisfaction in life.
28. The deepest principle of human nature is the desire to be appreciated.
People are social beings and we like to be respected and appreciated.
29. Whenever you are in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between hurting the relationship or strengthening it. This factor is attitude
Attitude is also important in interpersonal relationships. .
30. When you have to make a decision and you don’t, it is in itself a decision.
Even if you don’t decide about something, you have made the decision not to decide.
31. Deep in the mind we know what we should be doing, but somehow we can’t start
Sometimes it happens that we think about change but don’t act.
32. The best weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another
Stress often has its origin in our beliefs.
33. As a rule, we don’t believe in facts and theories for which we are not prepared.
We generally believe in the things that best match our knowledge and beliefs.
34. I don’t sing because I am happy, I am happy because I sing
The mind greatly influences our body and our actions.
35. The best argument I know for an immortal life is the existence of a man who deserves it.
A sentence full of meaning and which makes the reader think deeply.
36. Act as if what you do makes a difference. This makes
Attitude is the key to success or failure.
37. Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power
The way we think has a big impact on our behavior.
38. Genius signifies little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unusual way
Geniuses are people with infrequent intelligence.
39. If you want quality, act like you already have it
Better to believe in good and act with confidence than to believe in bad and act pessimism.
40. Everyone should do at least two things they hate during the day, just to practice
A sentence that has a certain sense of humor but is very true.
41. A paradise of inner tranquility seems to be the result of faith
With faith, we seek to be at peace with ourselves.
42. The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that lasts longer than it does.
When we love to do something we love, time flies and it just doesn’t seem to move forward.
40. Ideas obtained by man before the age of twenty are practically the only ideas he can have in his life.
This means that at this age a person thinks with the heart and not with the mind.
41. Nature’s most immutable barrier is that which exists between the thought of one man and that of another man.
The differences of opinion between two people are often insurmountable.
42. Success or failure depends more on attitude than ability. Successful men act as if they have accomplished something or enjoyed something. Act, look, feel, as if you were successful and you will see awesome results
Our thoughts can act as limiting or enabling beliefs.
43. Compared to what we should be, we are half awake
William James always had great thoughts like the one in this quote.
44. Wherever you are, your own friends make your world
Friendships are part of our life and they accompany us throughout our existence.
45. If you think that feeling bad or worrying will change the past or the future, you are living on another planet with a different reality.
You don’t need to think about the past over and over, you’d better turn the page.
46. For most of us in our 30s, character has set in like a cast and it will never soften up again.
Over the years, it becomes more and more difficult to change.
47. To perceive the world differently, we must be prepared to change our belief system, let go of the past, expand our sense of the present, and dissolve fear from our mind.
To change, you must be open to change and have an open mind.
48. To be a true philosopher, it is enough to hate the way another thinks
Not agreeing with the opinions of others can make us think deeply.
49. Each way of classifying something is only a way of managing it for a particular purpose.
A meeting on how people can be wronged.
50. Whenever two people meet, six people are present. How each person sees themselves, how one person sees the other and how each person really is
A funny quote that refers to the way people see us as other people see us.
51. As a rule, we do not believe in facts and theories for which we have no use.
A theory doesn’t make much sense if it isn’t useful or applicable.
52. The sense of humor is a philosophical state of mind; she seems to tell nature that we don’t take her more seriously than she takes us
Again, another quote with a certain joke tone that talks about taking life seriously.
53. Life only has meaning if we give it meaning
There is no point in living life if we are constantly sad.
54. It is not at all easy to choose the path in the face of so many elections
William James reminds us that sometimes it can be difficult for us to choose where we want to shoot.
55. Believe that it is worth living life and this belief will help to create the fact
Almost always, when we believe in our possibilities, we can get what we want.
56. We are like islands in the sea, separated from the surface but connected to the depths
A comparison of the islands with the way people are.
57. If we consider the world of geometric relations, there sleeps the thousandth decimal place of Pi, although no one ever tries to calculate
A Date on the Number Pi and Geometric Relations When you are worried about something, it is customary for you to take steps to resolve it.
58. The voluntary and sovereign way of joy, if we lose joy, consists in moving forward with joy, in acting and speaking with joy, as if this joy were already with us.
We don’t have a better choice to face life with a positive attitude.
59. The uncalculated decimals of Pi lie dormant in a mysterious abstract realm, where they enjoy a weak reality, until they are calculated, they do not become something fully real, and even then their reality n is just a matter of degree
The truth is not absolute, but people can have different points of view.
60. If you are concerned enough about a result, you may be able to do something to correct it.
Negative thinking can be helpful in many circumstances.